At the start of 2016, David Bowie died and Great Britain went bonkers. I've almost lost count of how many Prime Ministers we've had. They've all been either weak, useless, dodgy or bonkers or a combination of these 'qualities'. It is odd that whilst we've had seven Prime Ministers, we've only had three leaders of the opposition ( I don't count Rishi as he was a caretaker). They say being leader of the opposition is the hardest job in politics, but clearly it can't be.
Into the melee has stepped Andy Burnham. It is clear that he is a very different beast to Sir Keir Starmer. It actually appears that Burnham believes in something. A friend, who is a Merchant Banker has advised me to sell all my shares, as Burnham is going to crash the market with his socialist schemes. Oddly I had a look yesterday, I don't have many but they are at a record high. It makes me wonder. Are players on the stock market artificially inflating share prices so they can crash it to stitch up Burnham when he announces a few mildly centre left policies.
From what I've seen so far, I rather like what I've seen. Burnham is engaging Badenoch and Ed Davey to try and get a permanent fix for adult social care. Badenoch has rather stupidly said she'll work with him so long as tax rises are off the table. This is the ecconomics of the mad house. The system is broken and it will cost cash. You cannot fix such things with scotch mist. It will be expensive. But it needs doing and a grown up adult politician should recognise this.
Burnham is also talking about reform of education, to move the focus from University courses to actually teaching skills the economy needs. I fully support this. I think the focus on exam grades is crazy. People use Ofsted tables to decide where to send their kids. Everyone is obsessed with exams, and not with making rounded human beings.
Is Burnham the man to put the wheels back on? Only time will tell, but for all those hoping Burnham fails, if he does it damages the UK. You may think the UK is beyind repair, but it looks to me that Burham doesn't, so maybe if you are really a patriot you should believe in our country and hope for all our sakes Burnham fixes adult social care and education. I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. I moderate once per day. Comments of a personal, abusive, spam or unrelated to the topic will not appear and will be deleted.
Only comments from Registered users allowed