Three years ago today, at about this time (11am - when I write this), I was being prepared in the operating theatre to have my prostate removed. What has happened since? Well at this point I am cancer free, according to my last PSA test. I suppose that is the most important thing, but what else? We'll I've done 45 gigs with The False Dots, I've released two albums - Don't be afraid of a finger in the sun and We don't live in America. I've written 700 blogs. I've seen my team win the FIFA Club world Cup, The Premiership, the FA Cup and The League Cup. I saw my other team Hadley FC with the Herts Charity cup and also beat Dogana Juveneze FC in San Marino. My eldest daughter has got engaged. My nephew and Godson has had two lovely daughters. My neice and Goddaughter got married. We've had amazing holidays in Valencia, Donegal, Nice, Lourdes, Cesenatico and Dublin. I have no idea how many brilliant gigs I've been to, how many great curries I've had or how many times I've had great nights out with friends. You may think to yourself "what's he on about?". Well the point is that life goes on and I have enjoyed life.
So you wanna know the gory details. I am mostly fully continent. I don't pee my pants as a rule. There are caveats. If I drink too much, generally it is wise to have a loo nearby. Also when I pee I have to remember the ten second rule. What is that you may ask? Well what it means is that when I pee, I count to ten and try and pee again. That empties my bladder and then there is no leakage. I can get an erection, although generally to get a strong one I need a tablet. I can reach an orgasm. It is dry (nothing is ejected, although the sensation is the same). Generally if I drink this becomes more difficult. I am sharing this because this was my biggest fear. This was the reason I nearly didn't have surgery. Is this aspect of my life great or as good as it was before. I'd be lying if I said it was and I do get frustrated with myself at times. There are times when things start and then they stop dead. Generally this is linked to alcohol and tiredness. There is less spontinaity. My surgeon informs me that for many men my age, who have not had a prostatectomy this is the case, but that is not really much solace when things don't work. From talking to other people who've had the op, I have concluded that I made the right decision engaging Professor Christopher Eden and would recommend him.
The one question that has always interested me is what would have happened had I just left it. My cancer was localised but becoming aggressive and was on the move. Professor Eden suggested that in a time period of 2-5 years, the cancer would have broken out. It would have spread to my bones etc and I would have started to see my bones detriorate and had severe pain. I would have had options to manage it, but this would be a lifelong issue. Depending on when and if I chose to do anything, my options would have been far more limited. If a bus had run me over last week and I was dead, I think the operation would definitely been the wrong option, but that hasn't happened. I had a look at the list of well known people who are listed as having/had prostate cancer on wikipedia. There are two people on the list, who were born in 1962. Both did not benefit from the early diagnosis I had in 2011. Both are dead. I had HIFU treatment in 2016 and a radical prostatectomy in 2023. Last month, TV present Dermot Murnaghan died at age 68 of aggressive prostate cancer last month. Every time I hear such news, I say a prayer of thanks that I went to see Dr Cuttell at Mllway Medical Practice in 2011 about my knee. He suggested "an MOT" as I was nearly 50. I had no symptoms. That was when this journey started. Given my extreme good fortune in having it picked up early, I would be extremely stupid to not do everything I could to avoid seeing it spread.
I am a member of several prostate support groups. Sadly most of the stories on them are far more negative than mine. I urge anyone who might be reading this and is around my age to get a PSA test. I feel it is vital to be honest and share my fears and doubts, because anyone who says they haven't had doubts and worries is probably lying. It isn't perfect. I wish I'd never had the horrible disease, but if you have to have it, the earlier you catch it the better your outcomes.
On our 2024 album, we recorded a song called "Don't be scared of a finger up the bum" to encourage men to get a PSA test. I filmed the footage on the way to the surgery and in the aftermath. It is a really important message. Much to my annoyance UK radio stations refuse to play it because they think it is rude. Please spread the word. To sum up. Life is good, I am hoping my surgeon will discharge me in September. Given everything, things are good.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. I moderate once per day. Comments of a personal, abusive, spam or unrelated to the topic will not appear and will be deleted.
Only comments from Registered users allowed