Saturday 27 July 2024

The Saturday List #449 - My top seven sandwiches

 Earlier this week, I posted a blog detailing my loathing of gunge filled sandwiches. It occurred to me that I've not done a favourite sandwich list. I reaslised as I wrote the blog that this needs to be addressed! So here it is. My favourite sandwiches.

1. Bacon Sandwich. This is the to me the absolute Emperor of sandwiches. All you need is good quality bacon, as sold bt proper butchers such as Gerard on Daws Lane, good bread and proper butter. I am not a fan of the BLT. Why would you want to put lettuce in a bacon sarnie? It is insanity. Whoever ate a bacon butty and thought "This could really use some lettuce". The bacon should be cooked until it is everso slightly crispy.

2. Cheese sarnie. Now there are more cheeses than there are pigeons in Trafalger square, so lets be specific. It has to be the strongest, extra mature cheddar. Thirty years ago, I'd have put Branston pickle on it, but I think they've changed the recipe and it tastes wrong. It is slightly too sweet and the acidity is wrong. 

3. Sardine Sarnie/ Now this is the one sarnie that I do modify. I love to remove the bones (the dogs love em, it is a treat so all are happy), mash them up, add sarsons malt vinegar and a bit of good butter. Can't beat it.  I prefer sardines to Tuna, which to me is dry and bland when tinned.

4.  Cheese and Ham sandwich. If you can get hold of proper deli ham, it is excellent with a good cheese in a sarnie. This stuff that you buy in supermarkets, dripping with water and slimey are disgusting. It has to be proper ham. 

5. Hungarian salami. I love salami and hungarian salami is far and away the best. It is harder to get hold of but worth the effort.

6. Fish finger sandwich. This is a proper treat. We have this most weekends. Fish fingers are much underrated. I don't mind a dab of tartare sauce on this. The one time gunge is acceptable.

7. The classic sausage sarnie. Proper bangers. I used to love HP sauce on them, but I have to say, like Branston pickle, the taste of it has changed and it is horrible now.

-----

What are your favourite sarnies?

No comments: