Friday 21 June 2019

Mill Hill Music Festival Day 8 - Rog's Festival Diary

It feels like the end is in sight! The penultimate day of the festival. Tonight we have an amazing concert with The Foundations, 60's soul legends. It is a special gig for me. Alan Warner, the guitarist is one of my oldest friends in the music business. He is a bit of a mentor in many ways. When I was a spotty, 16 year old guitarist, I recorded a series of demo's with my band in his private studio. Alan is an amazing guitarist, I could hardly play the instrument. We were a truly awful band at the time. My schoolmate Boz Boorer from the Polecats had recorded a demo at Alan's studio and got a record deal with independent label Nervous records. It seemed to me an obvious thing to do. I realised that the level of musicianship in The False Dots was nowhere near as accomplished as the Polecats, so I thought it would be wise to seek Alan's advice.

I told him we wanted to record a demo, but would appreciate some advice. He came down to a rehearsal and I don't think that even though he'd been in the business for a decade or so, and had international hits, he'd never seen anything quite as awful as the fledgling Dots. I suspect any other sane, rational human being would have run a mile. What did Alan do? He arranged for a professional drummer to join the band, gave me some advice on songwriting and told us to rehearse like hell. We took the advice and when the first demo was done, everyone was astounded. Years after, when Al became a firm friend, I asked him why he bothered. He said that although the band was musically awful, he recognised that we were good songwriters and needed encouragement. He also recognised that we had a 'proper band chemistry'. I owe Alan a huge debt for that. That is why tonights gig is special for me. The band are amazing and as Alan lives in Mill Hill, it is only right that he headlines the biggest gig in Mill Hill this year. Ticket sales have been amazing and it will be a great night. The support band are Recollection, which has Gerry Keane on guitar. I have known Gerry since I was four. He was at both St Vincents and Finchley Catholic High with me. Gerry was the first person I knew to start a band and they did a gig at FCHS when were both 14 or 15 years old. I immediately was inspired. If Gerry could do that, so could I. Gerry is a ot more conventional a guitarist than I am. His band are a really solid 60's and 70's covers band and throw in some of the better contemporary music as well. It is no exaggeration to say that I am excited. Even better, I am not doing the PA, having outsourced it to a good mate of mine Vince. I worked with Vince at BACS over 30 years ago. He has built up the best hire rig in Barnet and is the go to man for any bigger gig we arrange. As the gig at the Golf club is outside and there are many logistical issues, it is great to have him on board. Tickets are still available for tonights show and will be on sale at the door. If you pick them up from Mill Hill wines, they are only £13. On the door they are £15.

Last night we had Jazz legend Alan Barnes with his Octet at Hartley Hall. It was an amazing show. It fell to me to do the sound system. It was easy and a pleasure. The hall was packed again. Here are a few snippets.


The concert was in memory of our Jazz organiser Brian Peerless, who passed away in November. This was his swansong, the last gig he booked for the festival. There was not a dry eye in the house as committee member Luciana read a tribute. Alan Barnes dedicated several numbers to Brian in his storming set.

It was our final night at Hartley Hall. It was  pleasure afterwards for the Festival team to adjourn to The Bridge Tavern for last orders. We bought Gillian, the amazing Hall coordinater a half of lager for her efforts. Scant reward, but as she says she loved helping, she seemed happy. We had an amazing team of volunteers running our bars etc, so big thanks to Mary, Sue, Yumery, Joan, Val, Elaine and all the others who pitched in. Pete the caretaker also did a sterling job. Hartley Hall has become the cultural centre of Mill Hill. The team deserves a big shout out, as does the Vicar Stephen, who has been highly supportive.

Anyway that's it from me. Got a festival to run!

No comments: