Wednesday 7 August 2019

Career advice - The worst advice I ever received

Back in February 1978, I was called in for some careers advice by the careers officer at Finchley Catholic High School. I was a punk rock obsessed 15 year old. The master asked what I wanted to do with my life. I said "Something in music". He said "why haven't you done a music O'Level?". I replied , "I'm not interested in classical music". The career master laughed and said "you have to be realisitic". Here are his suggestions.

.


His suggestions? Electrical contracting, driving trains, working for London Transport, an apprenticeship in garages or working as a panel beater.  Anyone who knows me would absolutely p*** themselves now reading this. All of the things suggested are things I have no interest in, no aptitude for and wouldn't touch with a barge pole. A year later, I started Mill Hill Music Complex. By then, I had decamped to Orange Hill Senior High School and started The False Dots. My Dad had very kindly given me the keys to the derelict caretakers cottage at Bunns Lane Works, to use as a music rehearsal space. I paid him a fiver a week and charged other bands a couple of quid for a session. It took a very long time for the studio to become my main income, but it has always operated at a profit and put a few pennies in my pocket.

Many young people will soon be receiving their GCSE and A Level grades. I was talking to a friend who's daughter is getting her grades soon. She was saying how stressful it is. For me it wasn't. I always assumed that as I'm thick, I'd do really badly. I realised that if I wanted to do anything, I'd have to find my own path and that careers advisers would be no use at all. Sadly, no one ever explained to me (and possibly the school) that the reason I was at school was to be given the tools to forge a successful life. I do understand that Mr Bannister had to interview 180 pupils and in 10 minutes set them on the right path, but really, why bother if that is all you will do. He didn't listen, didn't want to know.

What made me start Mill Hill Music Complex? I needed to. I've often wondered what I'd have done, if my Dad hadn't had somewhere to rent me to start a little studio business. I discussed it with my band mate, Pete Conway, before my Dad made the suggestion. We discussed finding a squat where we could live and rehearse. As with most conversations then with Pete Conway, he saw the scheme as a great way to attract pretty young girls to our den. When we got 'The Cottage', the need for a squat disappeared. Ironoically, a bunch of my mates started renting the bedrooms in the cottage from my Dad, we kept the front room for rehearsals. It was the nearest thing middle class Mill Hill got to a squat.

I soon realised that this wasn't really ideal. In 1985, we moved into one of his lock ups and the Cottage reverted  to being a dwelling. That is now what is studio 2.  I realised that we needed a proper plan. I raised a loan and we bought equipment. The first lesson came when a bunch of herbets smashed down the door and nicked all of our gear. I was lucky, my Dad had given me good advice and we were insured. We got a whole lot of new gear and we fitted a better door. TWhen the insurance company tried to knock us, he got us an independent loss adjuster who made sure we got what we wanted.he thing was, if I'd not had a Dad who was a businessman, I'd have not known about insurance and we'd have been finished.

My education largely came from my parents. They always gave good advice. Business advice, investment advice and from my Dad, lots of sensible advice on dating girls (don't eat Spaghetti on a date, you'll make a mess on your shirt and look stupid). I always listened, although sometimes didn't take the advice. But most of what he said was sensible and practical. I do wonder why schools don't teach about buying houses, laws on renting, how to set up a business, how to do all of the things life needs. Not everyone will use the advice, but far more people will use it than will ever use particle physics or osmotic pressure measurements. Life skills are precious, if you haven't got a Dad like mine, you are at a severe disadvantage.  That is not really fair.


1 comment:

An old dad who knows said...

Hurray for your Dad then!

If I had a son like you, I would be very proud of what you have achieved (without a panel beater in sight) !

Bless you,son

And bless your Dad.