Saturday 6 April 2024

The Saturday List #435 - My top ten favourite London pubs in 2024

 I've done a few lists featuring pubs over the yearsb but I've never done a list of my favourite pubs right now. This is an ever changing list as pubs shut, change management, rebrand, etc. If I'd done this list ten years ago, it would be rather different. Of course as it's a personal list, it features pubs that I've been to. I have tried to feature different pubs that offer a different and unique feel. Being a musician, clearly that weighs heavy on some of my choices. I am also a  lover of decent real ales, so a good real ale is a big plus. I am not a massive fan of bland chain pubs, however some chain pubs are pretty good. So what you'll get here is a good mix of pubs which anyone who is looking for a decent pint and a nice evening etc should find something. 

1. The Southamton Arms, Kentish Town. This is currently my favourite pub in London if I want a decent pint and a chat with mates in a relaxing atmosphere. It is not posh, I would describe it as shabby chic. It has a wonderful selection of well kept real ales and ciders and some tasty meaty snacks. For me, the fact that it is five minutes walk from the Thameslink station is a massive plus. 


 

2. The Dublin Castle, Camden. This is most definitely London's best music pub. I love it so much that the band wrote a song about it! Not a pub for the real ale lovers, but deffo one for a great night out. My band, The False Dots will be playing there on Friday 26th April, with the legendary Brummie Ska band Skaface. 

If you've not been  to The DC, this would be an excellent time to start. Tickets available here. It is worth a trip in to see the memorabilia from Madness, Amy Winehouse, etc. There is also a decent jukebox. Without pubs like the Dublin Castle, London wouldn't have a music scene. I'd advocate supporting all of London's pubs, but especially the music pubs.

Here's the track and video we made in homage 

3. The Gun, Docklands. So you want a great Sunday lunch? I can think of nowhere better. With the opening of The Elizabeth Line, this has become very accessible for those of us who live elsewhere. There are great views of the river, in the Summer the patio is wonderful. Best of all though is the Sunday Roast. To me, a good roast is the food of Kings. It has become our go to lunch venue if we want a long, boozy lunch and I thoroughly recommend it. 

4. The Rake, Borough Market. This used to be my local when I worked in Park Street. I thoroughly recommend a trip to the market, get some street food and wash it down with a few pints in The Rake, It has a massive selection of real ales. A proper pub for beer lovers and a great stop off, if you are visiting the South Bank. 



5. The Hop and Vine, Ruislip. One of the great things about being a football fan is that you find all manner of great pubs in places you'd normally not go. Before Wrexham became a global phenomenum, I was a part time fan, going to games in and around London with my North Welsh mates. They were in the Conference and it was always a good laugh. Now they are in League two and you can't get tickets. One gem I found was the Hop and Vine in Ruislip. It was the pub of choice before a match at Wealdstone. Luckily for me, the 114 bus goes from Mill Hill, so it is dead easy to get to. Ruislip is a great little place. It even has a Wimpy, which I really miss from Mill Hill. The pub has a wonderful selection of real ales and a brilliant little garden as well. It is also a good place to refresh yourself after  avisit to Ruislip Lido.

6. The Spreadeagle, Camden Town. I have to include this pub, as it has my favourite chair in any pub in London. I love sitting in this seat, with a pint of Youngs, just watching the world go by. Camden is a busy, frenetic hive of activity, but the Spreadeagle is a lot more relaxed and chilled out. It is my pub of choice for meeting people in Camden, if I don't go to the Dublin Castle


7. The Doric Arch, Euston. I do rather like pubs that serve as watering holes for London's stations, The Doric Arch is my favourite of these. It is located upstairs by the Bus station. It is a Fullers pub and has a good selection of beers and a fine display of railway memorabilia. If you are catching a train from Euston and have half an hour to spare, it is a wonderful way to waste some time. I enjoy it so much that I go there even if I don't have a train to catch. There are some great Indian Restaurants in the locality.

8. The Bohemia, North Finchley. I love the Bohemia so much that I even had my 60th Birthday party there. It is a microbrewery, with the beer brewed on site. The food is great as well. They have live Jazz on a Sunday evening, organised by the rather wonderful Ed Bentley, a true giant of the North London Jazz scene. 

9. The Boogaloo, Highgate. A great little bar if you want a bit of fun. The Gospel Lunches are brilliant, usually featuring live music from the Americana genre. They have quiz nights and all manner of other stuff. Never a dull moment. 




10. Ye Olde Mitre, Barnet. Last but by no means least. The Mitre is a proper pub, good beer and a historic setting. It is dead handy if you are going to The Bull Theatre, which is more or less next door. I will be nipping in myself next week, as The False Dots are playing with The Silencerz at the Bull. We always go for a beer there after. There are several decent pubs in Barnet, so you can do a decent pub crawl, but the Mitre is my favourite.

----

What are your favourite pubs and why? Please leave a comment as I'm always up for finding new pubs. 

No comments: