Sunday 28 April 2024

The Sunday Reflection #11 - Tragic scene shows that there are more important things than football as Hadley FC V Kempston Rovers is abandoned

 Up until 3.30pm yesterday, I was having a wonderful weekend. The False Dots gig at The Dublin Castle was wonderful. The headline band Skaface were excellent. As ever it was a great way to catch up with friends and have some fun. I awoke yesterday morning feeling fragile, but with a smile. We walked the dogs, had lunch and I made my way to Brickfield Lane, to watch Hadley FC's final game of the season. This is always a bit of a party. I won't see most of my Hadley friends until our pre season trip to San Marino in June. The club always make a big effort, player of the season awards are dished out and a few beers are consumed for the final game. The team made an awful start to the season, manager Tony Clark tragically lost his son just before the start of the season and not surprisingly this cloud affected everyone. The team started poorly with a string of losses. Another tragedy hit, when popular midfield Luke Alfano's Dad passed away. By Xmas, the club were mired in a relegation struggle. The 150 or so regulars stood by the team, knowing that the club was built on solid foundations and have been punching above their weight, playing in the Southern League central division one. 

In the dark days of winter, it seemed that nothing was going right. And then Father Christmas brought strike Isaac Stones some new scoring boots. Isaac had struggled to find the net after joining the club. He was clearly talented but seemed to lack confidence. All of a sudden, he couldn't stop scoring, finishing as the leagues top scorer. The team went on a stunning run. They almost made the playoffs. Although results last week meant that the playoffs were not mathematically possible, the club could achieve their highest ever points total at step four. They were playing Kempston Rovers, already relegated, with only pride to play for.  

A good crowd gathered and were in fine voice. There was much banter, Kempston play in green, so we sang "You're just a team of Keepers". We then had a jolly time winding up the number nine, about his inability to tie his shoelaces. Kempston seemed to be a rugged team, playing a long ball on the break game. Hadley started fairly sedately. After 36 minutes, Finlay Aldridge broke clear and scored. Much merriment ensured amongst the home supporters. As the game was about to restart, the Kempston keeper Jack Marshall went down on one knee and started signalling to the ref, who was looking the other way, as the game was about to restart. Myself and a couple of other Hadley fans who saw what happened shouted to the ref to check the keeper. He turned around, by which time the keeper was sprawled on the floor.  Immediately recognising that this was a serious situation, the ref called on both sets of physios etc. Steve Gray, the Hadley chairman called an ambulance. 

The Kempston players encircled Jack, and covers were brought, along with a defibrillator. As the severity became clear, fans drifted to the clubhouse. A paramedic, then an ambulance arrived. No one really felt like celebrating, the mood was deflated. The club did it's presentations. Quite a few Barnet fans were at Hadley and watched the Barnet game on the telly. They were in the playoffs. They lost 4-0. 

It was a strange feeling all around. At around 7pm, Jack's mum posted from Barnet hospital that Jack was alright, with pictures of Jack giving the thumbs up. 

That was really the only result I cared about. When I saw the pictures, I realised that Jack is about the same age as my own son. My son was a talented keeper for Watling boys but had to give up playing after damaging his ACL. As a parent, the worst thing is when something happens to your kids and my heart goes out to Samantha, his mum. Just before the incident, Jack displayed some rather tasty footwork and is clearly a very good keeper. I hope that he recovers and that he appears between the sticks again, if it is possible.

Yesterday was a harrowing day. Football is one of my great loves, but seeing Jack departing in an ambulance gave me a heavy heart and put things in perspective. It made me appreciate my own kids. When I got back, I felt overjoyed just to see my son and daughter doing the ordinary things they do. I've seen many things on the football field, but thankfully nothing like what I saw yesterday. At times in my life, I've felt like football was the most important thing on the planet. Yesterday put this into sharp focus, but on reflection it also showed something else. The reaction of the both clubs and the fans, when it became clear what was happening should be a source of some joy. It brought out the best in everyone. The reaction to Samantha's post showed the good side of social media, with everyone sending best wishes. In truth. we were all helpless onlookers as the paramedics came and the ambulance left but we can show Jack and Samantha we care. 

This morning, when I got up, my daughter had prepared my wife and I a lovely breakfast, for no apparent reason. I probably haven't said it enough on this blog, but I love my kids, they are the future. I wish it hadn't happened, but the incidents of yesterday made me realise that we should cherish those we love as things can change anytime, in a second.

Wherever you are, have a great Sunday and appreciate what you've got.

No comments: