Saturday 19 October 2024

The Saturday List #458 - On National Album Day, Ten albums to have a listen to

 In preparation for National Album day, which is today, I've been having a listen to a few albums that I think are wonderful, that have almost been forgotten. This is not a 'best album ever' list, it is just a list of damn fine albums that are well worth a listen again. There's no real theme here, just a few albums that are a brilliant way to spend a few hours. 

1. The Saints - Eternally Yours - Aussie proto punks The Saints second album. Their first album is rightly deemed a classic. As a result, Eternally Yours is often overlooked. It had "This Perfect Day" which is as near to a perfect single on as you will hear. The band performed it on TOTP, but didn't really bother the charts. I love the brass on Know your product, it was a big influence on me. 

2. Moby Grape - Truly Fin Citizen. The greatest American band not to make it massive. By the time Moby Grape released this album it was all over. The album was derided at the time. I only listened to it on Spotify out of boredom, but realised it has some amazing songs on it. The Title track and Right before my eyes are as good a tune as you'll hear anywhere. Maybe not as dynamic and catchy as the earlier work, but it has a wonderful rawness and energy that makes it well worth a listen. 

3. Sly and The Family Stone - There's a riot going on. I must say that the Family Stone are the best live band I've seen. They share the title with The Ramones and The Dickies, but they were absolutely amazing. I'd recommend all of their albums. There's a riot going on from 1971 features the monster hit Family Affair. I could've picked any of their albums, but I chose this one as it shows a big progression in their sound. The reception was mixed, however I think it has stood the test of time rather well. 

4. Misty in Roots -  Wise and Foolish. One of my favourite reggae bands. Stalwarts of Rock Against Racism. I saw Misty in Roots at The London International Ska Festival recently and was inspired to have a listen, having not played it for a couple of decades. It was worth the wait.

5. The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup. Not often mentioned when discussing classic Stones album, but I think the Mick Taylor era was their finest and I also believe that with songs like Angie, 100 years ago and Heartbreaker are as good as anything you'll hear. The main problem for the album was it followed Sticky Fingers, which is perhaps the greatest Stones album of all. 

6. The Ruts - The Crack. I mentioned seeing Misty above. The Ruts were the support. They were also amazing. I saw the Ruts first ever gig, at The Stonebridge Park Rock Against Racism festival in the late 1970's, supporting The Vibrators. I'd forgotten how good they were. I am sure that if Malcolm Owen hadn't passed away, they would have been a massive band. Songs like Babylon's Burning and Jah Wars are classics.

7. The Ramones - Leave Home. I always think of The Ramones as a brilliant live band and sometimes forget what a great album Leave Home was. The Ramones never sold a lot of records and never really bothered the charts. I played this record every day for about two years and have played it about once a year since. Whenever I do, I always wonder why I waited so long. It is a great pop album. 

8. Joni Mitchell - Miles of aisles. A live album and in my opinion Joni's favourite. I'd go as far as to say that the version of Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire is her finest ever moment. She plays with a band of US session musicians called LA Express and it's as close to funk as Joni gets. I also love the version of Blue. 

9. Ed Kuepper - Today Wonder. When this was released, the NME said "If you buy one album this year, buy this". I did, but it seems almost no one else did. A shame. It is an absolute masterpiece. I just don't get how such a brilliant piece of work can be so overlooked. 

10. Steve Miller - Born to Be Blue. I guess that as a Manchester City fan, the title alone is enough to win me over! I think it's a wonderful album if you are want to chill. Not critically well received, but hey ho, what do the critics know. I love it. 

-----

And now for some special news I want to share with you on the subject of albums. The False Dots, after 45 years, release our first full studio album on the 17th November. Why has it taken so long? Well every time we got near finishing one, the band split, someone left or I simply decided that what we'd done wasn't quite what I wanted to release. But it's coming now. All of the songs are recorded and we have the launch party booked for the afternoon of Sunday 17th November  CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS and specially for you, here is a sneak preview of the cover.



No comments: