Sunday 10 May 2009

Disturbing Childhood memories



Occasionally the most innocent of questions can dredge up the most disturbing of memories. When we are children, we don't really understand the world, so we make up a scenario to fit the events that we see that offers some sort of rational explanation. In hindsight, when we become adults, we reassemble the jigsaw and realise that a series of coincidental occurrances lead us to concoct a completely ridiculous fantasy and in basic terms, we got it wrong. I guess that those of us who never get over building these fantastical fantasies end up invading Iraq because God told them to, but generally most of us take a more rational approach.

A recent blog I did answered the 2o questions as posed on Top Tory blogger Iain Dale's blog.
One of the questions was "First Girlfriend/Boyfriend". I must confess, I wasn't completely honest in my answer. For some quite unfathomable reason, I deliberately gave the wrong answer. The reason? Total embarrassment. Even worse, there really wasn't anything to be embarrassed about. The truth is that although the answer is true in as much as I detailed a first stolen kiss, it wasn't true in relation to my first girlfriend. In the late 1960's I was a very successful child actor/model. I starred in many TV adverts, the most notable being a Heinz Baked Beans advert which won an award at the Cannes International festival for best directed Advert. I suspect it may have been the first Heinz Beanz Ad. if you are interested it was the "We can't go on holiday without the beans mum" ad. I was the kid with the holdall.

I got the job because at the screen test I was the only six year old who would eat a plate of cold baked beans. I can vividly recall hearing all of the other kids screaming as their parents tried to force them to eat. I knew what had to be done, so I did it with a smile. The director was rather surprised at my reaction. He asked "You enjoyed that, do you like cold beans". I shot back "No, I like proper food, I was acting". Job done.

In the course of shooting an advert you are at the location for two or three days. If you were good, like me, you got 3 guinnieas an hour, which in 1967 was a small fortune. My acting career payed for my first guitar, so it served me well. Anyway I digress, as I was saying, the shoots were very long and very boring. On one shoot, there was a very pretty girl around my age called Emily. I'd not been interested in girls till I met Emily. Generally the kids were left to their own devices, the crews did their stuff, the mums/ chaperones chatted and in the course of the three days you were busy for possibly 2 or three hours. Emily was my co-star, my little sister in the script. She was at acting school and had dreams of a career as an actress. I was at the local Primary. We hit it off straight away. By the time we'd finished the shoot, we'd mapped the whole of our life together. We'd come up with a winning concept for a blockbuster film, in which we'd star. The idea was simple. There were films for girls, with romance & ponies, there will films for boys with cars and guns and baddies. We'd make films with all of it, so both girls & boys would like them. We sort of used the idea of Thunderbirds where you had Lady Penelopie for the girls & The Tracy's for the boys, but with real actors. She'd run a pony camp and I'd drive an E-Type jag with machine guns & missiles on it. Sound's great?

Not only that, but we'd planned our entire life together. Now as we were only kids, a key part of this was waiting to grow up, but we'd decided that would not be a problem as we didn't want to go out with anyone else. Now my biggest problem was that I had 5 elder siblings who I knew would tease me mercilessly and ruin everything if they found out. As we'd agreed a "no secrets" policy, I let her know my fears. She understood and said "Thats Ok because when we are 16 we'll be famous and so we can get together". We agreed that until then we'd keep our friendship a secret and only discuss it on film shoots when we were in private. It made it even more exciting.

Anyway, when the shoot finished, off I went home. I felt truly happy and contented for the first time, as I knew my life was going to be great. How could it fail? Now this is where things got strange. When I got home, I was listening to the radio in my bedroom. I'd never really listened to songs, but this strange tune suddenly came on. This disturbed me greatly.

I wasn't really listening at first, but when I heard the chorus, I was deeply disturbed

There is no other day
Let's try it another way
You'll lose your mind and play
Free games for May
See Emily play
I realised that I had lost my mind. I had realised that all I could think about was Emily and all I wanted to do was play with her. I had to find out who the song was by. A week or so later, it came on & I asked my older sister Val. She said "That's Pink Floyd. They are into drugs, drug addicts like them". The thing was, I loved the song. It made me feel happy. The trouble was that as soon as it finished, I became racked with guilt. I worried that I was a drug addict (rather strange really as was about 7 and didn't know what drugs were). I asked my eldest brother Laurie, about Pink Floyd. He started to tell me about psychedelia & UFO's.

All of a sudden, I realised the awful truth. Emily was an Alien! That was why she was so different to all the other girls, that was why she was so pretty. That was why I'd lost my mind. Her strange power had transformed me into an Alien controlled Zombie! The worst thing was that all I wanted to be was a zombie, listening to Pink Floyd, playing with Emily. Worse still, I couldn't validate my theory with my siblings as I knew they'd start the "Roger's got a Girlfriend" wind up and humiliate me. I developed a mad interest in astronomy. I bought a telescope. This was a cover to look for Emily's UFO. I was obsessed with this whole scenario for about four or five years, but never told anyone. WhenI was 14 I discovered punk rock and was finally completely cured.

There are a few hangovers. Apart from "See Emily Play" I loathe and detest Pink Floyd. I had this strange belief that Syd Barrett had been knobbled to stop him telling me the truth. I also found their later albums strangely bland and lacking in references to interesting things.

Another rather strange thing is I have an extreme dislike of zombie films. I have this urge to yell at the telly "That's not how it really is"

I also think that combined with my dyslexia, this had a massively detrimental effect on my education as I was far more interested in my fantasy world than anything else.

I never saw Emily again. My mum developed cancer in 1970 and that was the end of my acting career. I'd completely put all of this into a little compartment in my mind labelled childhood fantasy until I did Iain Dale's question, shut the door and locked it. It has made me ask myself one question. I wonder if my children have any such bizarre ideas?

6 comments:

Citizen Barnet said...

Did I ever tell you about that childhood crush I had on a boy I saw in a beans advert? (Only joking...)

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog

How can you not like cold baked beans? They’re even better than cold roast potatoes!

I think all your readers will want to know what happened to Emily. Assuming that she wasn’t really from the planet Zog, I think you should track her down and report back to us.

Rog T said...

David,

I don't think that would be a good idea. Firstly my wife would kill me, secondly think how devastating it would be if she couldn't remember me, thirdly last time I met her she sent me round the bend for a few years.

When my mum was alive (before she had her stroke & lost her memory) it would have been easy, but I can't even remember which shoot it was on. I'm pretty sure she wasn't with Norrie Carr who were my agency.

Oh and lastly if she was from Planet Zog, then I'd really be in trouble.

Duncan Macdonald said...

I was child star too. My mun took me to the clinic for a routine check up and they were filming an advert for baby milk which required a toddler to walk across the room holding a cup of milk. I somehow got chosen to do this. Apparently the ad was screened but I've never seen it and have no recollection of the actual event.

pat said...

I thought Frank was older than Laurie?

Rog T said...

They're twins, Laurie is 20 mins older