Wednesday 19 December 2018

The Wednesday Poem #52 - Christmas in Burnt Oak

Image result for  "burnt oak"
A roof collapse in Burnt Oak in the 1970's
Last poem before Xmas, so I thought I'd rework the twelve days of Christmas encapsulating my fond memories of Burnt Oak, past and present.

There are some great pictures (see left) of Burnt Oak on the Mempics website (Click here)
I love Burnt Oak, my band had a residency at the Bald Faced Stag in 1983/4, I spent many an hour bunking off lessons and drinking tea's in the Betta Cafe (often with Boz Boorer, until he got banned for asking if the automatic spoon greaser was broken). It still has two fine fishmongers, if all the pubs are gone.


Image may contain: 3 people
My brothers Baptism at The Annunciation
My parents were married by Fr Fred Smyth at The Annunciation church in 1944, my Grandma lived at 56 Milling Road, my brother Laurie met his wife in The Annunciation Social club in the 1970's, she was working at Burnt Oak Library at the time. Their first home was a council flat in Gunter Grove (remember when young couples could get them?). I went to School at Orange Hill School, next to Watling Park, which is one of the finest parks in Barnet. My son played youth football for Watling Boys FC. The area has changed, but it is probably the most vibrant and lively area of anywhere in the Borough.

The area has changed. The famous "Burnt Oak Boot Boys" of the late 1960's and early 1970's have been replaced by a large Romanian community. The Pubs have gone, but there is now all manner of different cuisines being sold at restaurants and cafe's. The market is has been closed for a while, the little alley from the High Street has been closed.


I have seen some very 'interesting' sights (and smells) down there over the years.


The 12 Days of Christmas in Burnt Oak

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Six Halal butchers, Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's
Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers, Five blokes in Bling
Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Eight massive potholes, Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers
Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Nine fresh fruit sellers,
Eight massive potholes, Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers
Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Ten smackheads sleeping, Nine fresh fruit sellers,
Eight massive potholes, Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers
Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Eleven Watling boy, Ten smackheads sleeping, Nine fresh fruit sellers
Eight massive potholes, Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers
Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Twelve boot boys meeting, Eleven Watling boy, Ten smackheads sleeping
Nine fresh fruit sellers, Eight massive potholes
Seven late buses, Six Halal butchers
And Five blokes in Bling, Four Romanian Cafe's, Three Closed pubs, Two fine fishmongers
And A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea, and A Betta Cafe cuppa of tea

No comments: