Sunday, 16 August 2026

The Sunday Reflection #95 - Pubs, Pubs, Pubs - and what you can learn from visiting nine of them in one night!

 Last night, I visited nine pubs and had a drink in each one. We were on one of my best friends sons stag night. A group of fifteen of us dressed up as characters from the Super Mario game and went on a pub crawl organised by his other son. You may think that this is a strange topic for a Sunday Reflection, but I learned quite a lot and I really wanted to share it. We were on Brighton. We emerged from our Airbnb at 7pm and headed to the first of the pubs. We were on a tight schedule. The first pub we passed was not on our itinery. It was the Golden Cannon. It's in the heart of LGBTQ+ district, but is a proper old style pun , which wouldn't seem out of place in Burnt Oak. The locals saw us and and rushed out and invited us in, amused by our outfits. Given the warm welcome, we had to oblige. The scheduled beer for the first stop was a pint of Guinness. As I rather like Guinness, this went well. A local put One Step Beyond by Madness on and we all did the conga around the pub and down the road. The guvnor then gave us a round of Baby Guinness shots. It was a brilliant start. We then moved on. As we made our way down the street, people were stopping us to have their picture taken with a group of fourteen blokes, all dressed as in silly attire.

Now I am not going to bore you with the details of the other pubs and drinks, but I will share a few things.  Three of the venues we visited were not on the list we had planned. They saw us and invited us in because the saw we were good natured and having fun. We went in and I guess we spent £200 in each. We also had a great crack with all of the locals. All of these pubs were independent. We went in one pub, which we didn't feel especially welcome in. It wasn't a party atmosphere and I guess if you want a quiet pub, you don't want 14 blokes being silly. They did serve us, but it wasn't the vibe for either us or them. O'Neils refused to let us come in. It was pretty clear that they had decided that we were 'too large a group' to let in, despite the fact that it was clear that we were good natured and having a laugh. The other large chain we went to was Wetherspoons. Although they let us in, there was a scowling member of security standing by us for the entire duration of our visit. I found it quite antagonising really. I rarely drink on Wetherspoons, and it sort of confirmed my prejudices that Wetherspoons lacks atmosphere and is not really much fun. 

Another one of the highlights was an impromptu stop at The Little Havana bar for some impromptu Karaoke. As the night was warm and dry and we were having a good crack, quite a few revellers joined in. The bar owner got into the vibe as well. 

It was a brilliant night. I go to a lot of pubs and clubs, not usually so many on one night and I don't normally drink as much in one sitting, but such occasions are to be savoured. It confirmed my views of the large pub chains, which are run by people who don't drink in them. Soulless and dull. I also love quirky pubs, community pubs and best of all, bars with a bit of music on. I get that students etc, on a low budget, love a 'spoons' but to me they are horrible. 

What I found interesting was the different attitudes of the door staff. The big chains had aggressive door staff that were keen to assert their authority. The smaller pubs had doormen who saw we were up for a crack and got into the spirit with us. I get that the big chains have 'policies' but anyone who has spent any time around pubs at all can see straight away who is going to be a problem and who isn't. I believe that a visit to the pub should be good for the soul. If all it does is suck the energy out of you, then it is a bit self defeating. 

The bottom line for me was that we stopped by for drinks in nine different places and seven of them were a great crack. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that all had their own vibe. All were unique, apart from the 'Spoons' which just felt like you were in a 'Spoons', which is great if you like that sort of pub. I don't. I realised that I don't actually go to the pub to drink. I go to the pub to have a crack. Pubs that don't really want people having fun are not really for me. 

No comments: