How has your weekend been. Mine has been wonderful, we were in Crete for my nephews wedding. It is a lovely place if you want to chill. Here are some highlights of where we visited.
Thats enough of me, what have our Tweeters been up to. I've not looked at Twitter too much si this was a catch up for me as well
1. It only seems right to start with this wonderful Tweet about one of Mill Hill's miost revered residents
26 July 1833, having abolished slave trade in 1807, House of Commons bans slavery itself. When William Wilberforce, who’d spent most of his life crusading against slavery & Mill Hill resident, heard news, he said "Thank God I've lived to witness [this] day." He died 3 days later. pic.twitter.com/bMnKsddrBf— St Paul’s Finchley (@StPaulsFinchley) July 26, 2022
2. And a shout out for our present generation of local heroes!
A fantastic turnout of volunteers at our get together for coffee and cake at the Finchely Nurseries. A wonderful social morning for our volunteers who make our charity tick. pic.twitter.com/CSaBH6jLwI— Good Neighbour Scheme for Mill Hill and Burnt Oak (@NeighboursMHBO) July 28, 2022
3. If I'd been around, I'd have deffo been up for this. A great performance by the oldest Football team in the Borough of Barnet
Some blurry snaps from tonight's match are up on my F@cebook page. Search for Doug Kermit. pic.twitter.com/veA9WM9Ham— doug robinson (@deadlykermit) July 26, 2022
4. Long overdue my first trip of the year to Long Lane Pastures
Well done to all our volunteers & supporters for helping Long Lane Pasture achieve its eleventh consecutive @KeepBritainTidy Green Flag Award! @BarnetCouncil@stephenshouse @alan_s01 @Barnet_FoE @WildLondon @savebutterflies @FofWOS @FinchleySociety @finchleyhs @LondonNPC pic.twitter.com/aDYnnYVZ8b— Long Lane Pasture (@LLPasture) July 26, 2022
5. What better way to mark the passing of the legend that was Bernard Cribbins with a little bit of a local link. RIP Bernard and thanks for all the fun
Just to finish it off, some of the production was done at Samuelsons Production Village, which was in Cricklewood Lane. pic.twitter.com/M1lKsQJOpJ— NW London TimeMachine (@time_nw) July 28, 2022
6.I love the way Cricklewood residents are so proud of their Town Centre
Excellent branding and signage have clearly defined and identified Cricklewood on the busy A5 corridor.— Osita Udenson (@UdensonCaldbeck) July 28, 2022
Are you following @Cricklewoodldn on Instagram?#branding #signage #highstreet #profile #map @cipcricklewood @NW2_RA pic.twitter.com/S3bIVpCvBU
7. Talking of Cricklewood, ever wonder what happened to the loco's that tried to do a runner from Cricklewood Train Depot and landed on the North Circular, they got chopped up for being naughty! Not quite a Thomas the Tank Engine ending!
BTW Here is a video that anyone interested in the train basj might enjoy!
#ThirtyOnesOnThursday 31202 in early November’88 at Vic Berry Ltd, Leicester. Well, about 60% of it. Infamous for having 31226 on top of it after going through the buffers at Staples Corner , Cricklewood. pic.twitter.com/38rB36C1HA— Shawn Collier (@LeicRailAle170) July 28, 2022
8. Some nice IT history here from the Mill Hill Historical Society. I should mention that the office on Camrose Avenue was previously the head office of BACS who do bank transfers. I used to work their for a while in 1989, back in the days when I had to have a proper job to pay the bills. There was a time when more money passed through BACS than any other company in the world on a daily basis
Argonaut Games, founded at 70 Colindale Avenue and then based at Edgware's Cavendish House developed classic 90s video games like Croc: Legend of the Gobboshttps://t.co/tGEOBvkOFf pic.twitter.com/EMmn4gDPbF— Mill Hill Hist Soc (@MHHistSoc) July 29, 2022
9. We agree!
Isn't it high time we illuminated St Joseph again at night, as we did for the millennium? A real Mill Hill Landmark pic.twitter.com/y97NiI6dIp— #MillHillMusicComplex (@MillHillMusicCo) July 28, 2022
10. We started with a hero, why not be one yourself? Support your local foodbank!
And if you are interested in how Foodbanks work, here's a film we made explaining how the Colindale foodbank works
Hi everyone - please see and share our most recent shortages list. Stocks are running low across foodbanks in London, though demand remains high. Please consider adding some of these items to your shopping this week - thank you #barnet #foodbank pic.twitter.com/l2JkyJcY5t— Chipping Barnet Foodbank (@BarnetFoodbank) July 28, 2022