Yesterday, Andy Burnham laid out his plans for adult social care. His big idea is a system that is similar to the NHS, ie free at the point of access. Whilst no one really knows how this works, how it will be funded or when it will actually come into force, I think he has to be applauded for grasping a nettle that all of our leaders of differents shades have been to scared to address. I doubt anyone was too surprised at the stock response of the Tories etc which, as ever, is "Labour is spending other peoples money". The trouble with this, is that we are a society and we should, if we are to succeed, look after the most vulnerable people in it. I have not been affected by the issue personally. My father died aged 69, whilst still relatively fit and healthy, of an anuerism that was totally unexpected. My Mother died aged 83, although in terrible health, she lived at home and paid her own care costs.. But I know dozens of people who are having a nightmare with adult social care. For me, the concept of seeing a parent degenerate into a state of dementia and total reliance is the worst nightmare imagineable. I have friends who have lost parents to dementia, but the parents live on for years. It shreds the family. Assets are sold to pay for care and there all manner of things I've seen and heard that are totally horrific. One of my best friends has virtually put his life on hold to care for his elderly mum, who still lives in the family house, but is in a world of her own. I've no idea how Andy Burnhams plans would help him, but I am sure that having proper support for people in that position would be a game changer.
There have been howls that "Labour is ending the triple lock" to pay for it. I am 64, so I guess that if they do, that will affect me. However, if I had the choice between a bit more cash in my pension, or the alleviation of my childrens worries about when I lose my marbles, I know what I'd choose. Of course I may drop dead before then, but hey ho, I believe in society. I believe that we should look after people properly. I did hear one commentator state that all that Burnhams plans would do is line the pockets of private care home operators. I was bemused by this comment. If people need care in private homes, as that is all that is available, the pockets will be lined whoever pays the bill, but a national system, will mean families do not face hardship.
What should be happening is that the likes of Kemi Badenoch and Nigel Farage need to address the problem, not just criticise Burnhams proposed solution. I am open to the idea that there may be better ways to do this and fund this, but pretending there is no problem is plain dishonest. If you are a Tory or a Reform voter, you are probably in the demographic that is most likely to need adult social care, so you should be lobbying your own party for answers. If the answer is "We don't care about families thrown into turnoil at the challenges of adult social care" then shame on them all
No comments:
Post a Comment