So today, I had my last consultation with Professor Christopher Eden, the amazing surgeon who removed my cancerous prostate. Going forI am now back under my GP, as my PSA tests since the operation have been undetectable, apart from one outlier test in February, which showed a small raise. Whilst, as with any cancer, there is a small chance it may return, statistically it is unlikely. I will continue to have PSA tests for the foreseeable future. This is precautionary, but these will be GP reviewed.
This is not the end of the journey. I will still get stressed as each test approaches. That is human nature. I will live with the life changing effects of the surgery for the rest of my days, but my experience has been far better than just about everyone else I know in regards to after effects, but it is not without a degree of change to life. But I am lucky. The journey started in 2011, with a high PSA test. I had a well man checkup and I had a slightly raised PSA level. This was followed by another one, which was even higher.
A biopsy followed and I was told I had a low grade cancer, and was put on a programme of active surveillance (A PSA test every six months). In 2015, it started to become more active and I had HIFU treatment at UCH. This addressed the issue until 2023, when it became very active and I had the prostatectomy.
I could write a million words on the effects of it all on my mental health. For me, cancer is as much a mental health issue as a physical health challenge. I like to think I am a robust person, but it has been difficult to deal with. Perhaps, for me, the most difficult aspect is that every time I have become complacent, it has become active. I feel like the albatross will never be truly off my back.
But that is enough about me. As I am in the habit of doing, I had a little chat with Professor Eden about how business is going. He told me something that slightly disturbed me. He said "Do you have brothers and sons?". I have two brothers and a son. He said "As it is in the family, make sure they all get regular PSA checks when they are over 50, as you have a family history". He add "Now the NHS no longer does regular screening, men are finding out far too late". Since I started writing this series of blogs, 30 men have contacted me to inform me that they read the blog, got tested and it was caught in time. If I've done nothing else good in my life, 30 people will live a bit longer and have a better quality of life. That makes it all worth while. So please get a test. I hope you will not be 31, but if you are, that is better than finding out in 5 years time when you start peeing blood and they can't do much for you as it has spread.
I wrote this song and made the video when I had the treatment.
No comments:
Post a Comment