Friday 7 August 2009

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime

Forgive me for saying I'm not exactly overjoyed that Christine Orobator is being returned to Britain from Laos. She escaped the death penalty for heroin trafficing because she'd been raped in custody and was pregnant. She's been returned to the UK to give birth and serve out her sentence. I don't condone the raping of prisoners, but she did the crime for one reason, to make money. I believe in the "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" philosophy, which is why I get so annoyed when people move to this country and then complain about our laws and social conventions.

As to Ms Orobator. She escaped the death penalty. Many heroin addicts don't. Many old ladies will be robbed to pay for them to kill themselves. Many families will be destroyed by people using the product she was trying to import. Did she give a stuff about their suffering? No, she's a greedy selfish woman. As such she is only worthy of contempt and loathing.

Oh and I don't believe that being soft on criminals is a left wing thing at all. In communist China she'd have been executed (not that I'm for the death penalty, just harsh sentencing for merchants of misery).

Why is it that when these scumbags get caught abroad, suddenly people feel sorry for them?

No comments: