Sunday 16 August 2009

In Praise of : Front Gardens


Where have all the the front gardens gone? Am I totally alone in being cheered by the sight of beautiful flowers as I arrive home from a hard day? Have we as a nation become so blind that we'd rather see an ugly concrete slab. People come from miles around to look at my garden and often nick the flowers (especially the Daliah's). I guess that when I die and some philistine buys the place, they'll tarmac over it and put their mid life crisis Porshe on it.

Me, I'd rather have something of Beauty. Special thanks to my good friend Pat Hemmings who maintains my garden as an act of love for the odd bottle of wine. It's all his work you know. God bless him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not alone Rog, there are a few of us left who'd rather look at nature's beauty than concrete. Sadly we seem to be in the minority though.
I know that not everybody is interested or able to do their own gardening - but paying for permanently ugly, un-ecological and expensive paving over paying a gardener is a very odd choice.
Lovely photo by the way!
:)

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Front gardens are nice, but not always practical. The road I live on is very narrow with cars forced to park on the kerb which is both unsightly and dangerous. Widening driveways alleviates this problem.

Given the choice between safe parking and a pretty front garden, safety wins.

Unknown said...

Sadly in Barnet, the car alwas wins with the current administration