Sunday 6 September 2009

Has Boris gone Bonkers?


Boris Johnson had this message for the voters of London.

''Whether it's in theatre, comedy, sports, music or politics, Muslims are challenging the traditional stereotypes and showing that they are, and want to be, a part of the mainstream community," he said.

''That's why I urge people, particularly during Ramadan, to find out more about Islam, increase your understanding and learning, even fast for a day with your Muslim neighbour and break your fast at the local mosque. I would be very surprised if you didn't find that you share more in common than you thought.

''Muslims are at the heart of every aspect of society. Their contribution is something that all Londoners benefit from. Muslim police officers, doctors, scientists and teachers are an essential part of the fabric of London.

''Islamic finance is contributing to the economy by changing the way Londoners invest, save, borrow and spend. There are valuable lessons that people of all backgrounds can learn from Islam such as the importance of community spirit, family ties, compassion and helping those less fortunate, all of which lie at the heart of the teachings of Ramadan.''

This was reported in yesterdays Daily Telegraph. Whilst Boris Johnson is right that the vast majority of Muslims in London are fine upstanding citizens and some people could learn a few lessons if they read the Koran, I find it abhorrant that the Mayor of London seeks to promote a single religion in such a way. I'm a Roman Catholic and I passionately believe that community spirit, family ties, compassion and helping those less fortunate are also the cornerstone of my faith. I'm also sure that members of the Church of England, Methodists, Jews, Buddhists, Zoriastrians and all the other faiths feel exactly the same. I'm even sure that committed humanists such as Polly Toynbee and Richard Dawkins, don't feel that they need a lecture on this subject from Boris Johnson.

In my opinion, there is nothing more uplifting than attending the childrens service at my local church for the Christmas service. I love the hymns and the nativity story. Our family go every year and then we adjourn with a group of friends for a meal at one of the local restaurants (sometimes we are joined for the meal by some of our Jewish friends). I would be equally affronted if Boris promoted my faith above the other religions I've listed. It's not the role of the mayor to promote any religion. His job is to make the infrastructure of the City work properly. I'm always extremely suspicious of ANY POLITICIAN making any such public pronouncement of faith. It's a private matter. I feel it is correct for me to declare my faith in my blog, as it gives people some perspective on my views. Sometimes I mention things that this leads me to do, but I would never suggest that my faith has lessons for people of other denominations or faiths. That would be a supreme act of arrogance.

I happen to think that life is a journey. We learn things on the way. I believe that we should learn about other peoples faiths, cultures and ways. I believe we should be sensitive to other peoples beliefs and traditions. I think that if we are unhappy with aspects of our life, maybe we should seek change. If we are unhappy with what our faith does for us, maybe we should explore other faiths. What none of us needs is a lecture from Boris Johnson on the matter.

I've no idea what possessed Boris to make such a statement. I can only conclude that the pressure of the job is getting too much for him and he's losing the plot.

No comments: