Sunday 6 September 2009

How the Barnet Eye started.


I suspect one or two more people might be checking this blog out than usual, given a certain topical matter in the news this week. Anyone new to the Barnet Eye may wonder how it all started. You may wonder why a dyslexic punk rock guitarist in his mid 40's, who runs a music studio, ended up writing a blog which constantly criticises Barnet Council and lampoons the members of the administration which runs it. Now certain people may have you believe that I'm a desperate figure, who's been trying to make a name for myself on the local political scene for years. Truth be told, until 30th April 2007, I had no virtually no interest in Council politics. I've been a long standing critic of the councils policy on road humps, but I see that as a road safety issue and my activity was limited to the odd letter to the local paper.

Other than that, I had no interest. It's easy to ignore bad things happening when they don't afffect you. On 30th April 2007, it all changed and the crass and heartless nature of the Council started to affect my family in a massive way. As a result of this, I realised just how dangerous the policies of our council was becoming. I believe that the 30th April 2007 was the day that my elderly and frail Mother started a decline which lead to her death 16 months later. It was the day on which she realised that he independence could be taken away by the council at any time. Sadly the council didn't learn from the cock up which occurred on this day. Quite the opposite, Mike Freer and his merry men decided that this had been such a good idea that they'd do the same to the rest of the services the council supply under the future shape program. At the time I didn't even know who did what in the council.

The following councillors received the email - The three from Mill Hill, the Leader (Mike Freer), the deputy Leader (then Matthew Offord) and a certain other councillor who shall remain nameless. I also included Former councillor Jane Ellison as she is a friend and I thought she may do something. To give Mill Hill councillor, John Hart his dues, he did his best and did help, but I must confess that my opinion of Barnet changed permanantly as a result. Anyway here's the email I sent.
----------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 8:33 PM
Subject: Matter of extreme urgency

As you may be aware the meals on wheels service provided by Barnet Council today changed operators. My mother, who is 81 years old and disbled following a stroke, generally relies on this service for a hot meal at lunchtimes. Under the previous provider, the meals would come without fail before 12 Noon. My mother was rather upset when the previous lady who delivered her dinner informed her that her company had lost the contract and a new supplier would be taking over. If you are familiar with the elderly, roiutine becomes a matter of paramount importance. Having already become unsettled by this change, my mother became extremely distressed when the meal did not arrive.
Eventually the meal was delivered at 5.10pm, over 5 hours later than usual. My sister who is visiting from America, was with my mother and was informed by the driver that the meal had been on the van since 13.00. It was completely dried up and inedible(to say nothing of the health risk of having a meal on a van that long). The delivery company informed my sister that there were at least 10 outstanding deliveries.
On inspection my sister drew the conclusion that the quality of the meal was also far inferior to the previous suppliers offering. My sister is a retired SRN and worked for the last 7 years in the USA in hospices, so she is familiar with dealing with elderly people. She was totally disgusted, not least to find that the helpline was permanently engaged.
I assume that the contract was changed on grounds of cost. When dealing with vital services such as this, PROPER PLANNING is paramount. Drivers should have been performing dry runs to familiarise themselves and should have acquainted themselves with the operating pattern of the previous supplier. All of this is what councils are meant to do. Fortunately for my mother, I anticipated this scenario and had arranged for my sister to delay her return to the USA just in case.
My mother has not had menu choices from the new company and is in a complete panic about the situation. I am sure she is not alone. I trust that between all of you, you will be able to resolve this matter ASAP and ensure that a quality service is resumed tomorrow. I trust you will get back to me ASAP to assure me that as councillors, this matter will be given the utmost priority by Barnet Council. I'm sure that the vast majority of lonely, vulnerable people in Barnet do not have someone to make there case, so I feel morally obliged to ensure this is sorted out.
I am sure that all of you became councillors to look after the weakest and most vulnerable people in Barnet and will be as horrified as I am to hear of this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sad thing is that having read the Future Shape documents, Mike Freer's plans for an EasyCouncil and just about everything else they've done in the 2 years and 5 months that have elapsed since this cock up, it is clear that the people who run Barnet Council remember everything and learn nothing. I believe that the callous disregard for the weak and vulnerable of Barnet played a major part in the decline of my mothers health from this date. She was so stressed, she took to he bed and was never quite the same again. Sadly, I think this pattern will be repeated as wardens are cut and other services stripped out. My conscience won't let me sit back and say nothing.

That is why I started writing a blog.

Note : The picture at the top of the page is of my mum & the family at our house for her 80th Birthday party. She looked pretty good then for an 80 year old, this was before the Meals on Wheels contract was outsourced.

No comments: