Thursday 11 March 2010

Is this advert by TFL anti-semitic?

Check out this advert by TFL -


You may notice a few off things about "The Bank" in the clip. Firstly the masonic symbols on the exterior walls. The stained glass star of David's in the doors. Not really too like any banks I know. The rather Semitic looking "giant" security guard. I don't know any banks which are plastered with stars of David and masonic symbols in London in such a way. It turns out that the location is "The Freemasons Hall" in Great Queen Street, not a bank at all.

If I wanted to make a public service broadcast about a bank hoist, would I think "I know, I'll use a masonic hall, plastered with Stars of David, that will give the viewer a sympathetic feel towards the bankers". I think that the advert is at the very best crass and ill advised. It is no secret that many right-wing conspiracy nutcases come up with all sorts of nonsense about Jewish lead conspiracy theories, often orchestrated by masonic lodges. The notes in the film also don't bear much resemblence to the money we are using in day to day high street transactions.

The company which put the advert together are WCRS - http://www.wcrs.com/ - in association with TFL. I've no idea what sort of subliminal message this advert sends out, but I do know that it has made some of my Jewish friends decidedly edgy. I think that the basic concept of the ad is clever, but having watched it a few times, I agree that it seems to have a "hidden subtext". One that I feel far from happy with. TFL and WCRS have got this horribly wrong. I'm not Jewish, I don't subscribe to crackpot conspiracy theories. I do however think that there are nutcases out there who will see this and draw all of the wrong conclusions. Is this really what Boris Johnson, Head of TFL wants? I sincerely hope not.

Given that the key message about this advert is that it's "what you notice" that matters, I think a few questions need asking in rather high places.

A special note of the thanks to my great friend Jo Alexander who did all the research for me on this blog.

5 comments:

Citizen Barnet said...

It's strange from beginning to end, this video! As well as the Stars of David (which jump out at you from the start), what's the message? If you want to pull off a successful bank heist, check for passing cyclists?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rog,

You're looking in the wrong place mate. I am a freemason and I can assure you that the symbols are all allegory and that it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH being Jewish. In fact, to become a freemason one is first asked "Do you believe in a SUPREME BEING". This question is deliberately posed in such a manner so that if you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish or come from any religion that believes in a supreme being you can join without offending your religion (because one is NOT asked "Do you believe in Jesus, Jahweh or Allah"). So a masonic temple is the only place on God's earth that I'VE ever come across where all three religions exist in total peace and harmony; maybe the rest of the world could learn from that?!

No, there is nothing to be worried about just because they used Masonic Hall Great Queen Street. But you're right - this is an allegory - but not of freemasonry. It's a plagiarism of a film called "Point Break" that starred Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey and Keanu Reeves, in which a group of surfers wore masks of USA presidents when robbing banks. The scenes and actions of the film's bank robbery scenes and this advert are carbon copies. I think it's brilliant. The large security guard, the large police car, the large money, the large red alarm button - the gang notice everything EXCEPT the cyclist! Hence the TFL message - watch out for cyclists!

Anonymous said...

Before anyone gets seriously upset there's a typo in my blog - the word "those" should be in between the words "all" and "three".

Rog T said...

PCS Will,
I'm not having a go at freemasons, it's not a subject I have much interest in. I'm just worrying that the imagery and the subliminal message may be perceived as anti-semitic. Whilst freemasons may fully understand the imagery, right wing ignorant thugs are less likely to and may see in this some validation of ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Anonymous said...

No i know you're not having a go at Freemasons, I'm just saying that the allegory, or "subliminal message" as you call it, is to do with the film "Point break", and the stars of David are as much historical as they are Jewish. The Hindu's use the swastika but it doesn't make them Nazis, does it!

Personally I think this ad is brilliant, and I'd never noticed all the masonic symbols until you pointed them out!