Sunday 21 March 2010

The Killing Moon



Just because there's a killing moon tonight ! Being a Manchester City fan, I've always had a soft spot for this song. I've had a strange day. Watched my boys team Watling FC under 10's win 4-3 in a rather bad tempered (by the parents) match. It is sad that some parents don't realise that they influence the children when they abuse the ref. Sad really.

Went out and did a heavy days canvassing. We did in and around Mill Hill Broadway. I had the surreal experience of knocking on the door of  a brothel and asking the rather attractive young lady who answered if she would be supporting me. She looked rather bemused. I knocked on the door of another guy who studied our leaflet for five minutes and then said rather solemnly "I will have to discuss this with my friend and I will ring you to tell you if I support you".

The oddest moment was the bloke who said when he got our leaflet -   "What happened to the old bloke with the moustache?" I took it that he meant Conservative John Hart. I replied that he was standing again for the Conservatives. "He always tells me the same joke when he comes around". I asked "Is it funny?". He replied "No, not really". I wanted to tell him a funny Lib Dem joke, but my mind went blank. If there are any Lib Dem comedians out there who have a Lib Dem joke book I could borrow, I'd appreciate it.I asked if he would be voting Lib Dem.He replied "dunno, I might - depends how I feel on the day".

It can be an uphill task. One lady told me "I really like all the things you are doing locally. The campaign for the 186 bus, free parking, dog mess and the potholes". I was pleased "Will you be voting for us then". She replied "No, I don't like Lib Dems". I wasn't so pleased. A friend rang to say that he'd just been knocked up by John Hart in Lidbury Square. "Did he tell you a joke" I asked. "No, was he supposed to". Anyway, if you live in Mill Hill Ward and John Hart knocks on your door, ask him to tell you his joke. I really want to post it here.

So why the killing Moon by the Bunnymen on a Sunday night on a post about canvassing. It sort of sums up how you feel when you've spent all day trudging around Mill Hill only to be told 500 times "erm, I don't know, I haven't made my mind up" I suppose the only good thing is that 499 of those people who haven't made their minds up told us last time they were Conservatives, so I guess if we work just that bit harder, they might come over to us. Those who said Lib Dem last time still seem to like us. What is noticeable is that no one who said "Labour" last time is still admitting to supporting them this time around. I think the expenses issue has really hit the trust of the working class Labour vote.

The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine


Fate
Up against your will
Through the thick and thin
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

In starlit nights I saw you
So cruelly you kissed me
Your lips a magic world
Your sky all hung with jewels
The killing moon
Will come too soon

CH

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine

CH X 2

La la la la la...

CH

La la la la la...

CH

La la la la la...

3 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog

Rule no 1 of canvassing. If someone tells you on the door they are undecided, it means they are not voting for you but are too polite to say so!

Rog T said...

Dave,
Probably didn't say what I meant here very well. What came across time and again was people who said things like "Oh, I've always voted Conservative but I've not made my mind up" or "I'm really fed up this time and I haven't made my mind up". Quite a few people we'd identified as Hard Labour previously said "Oh I'm just fed up". I think if UKIP stood for Council they'd pick up hundreds of fed up disgruntled Tories. Given the Mill Hill mix we also got a lot of people who have always voted Lib Dem at Council and Lab at General election saying "We'll vote for you but we really don't know about the general election". Of course there are people who just say "Sorry I'm a Conservative". None said "sorry I'm Labour".

Our canvassing points to us doing well, but we've done my bit of Mill Hill so far :^)

What interests me most is I got hold of a Conservative leaflet today and I think they've got their campaign wrong. They are playing to all of our themes. I'm not saying what I would go with if I were them, but they've chosen to plug issues we can wipe the floor with them on. I couldn't believe that a leaflet in Mill Hill says what a great job the Tories are doing fixing potholes

Anonymous said...

That's gona be an interesting mix for you with local and general on the same day!

"Over the wall" is my favourite Echo and the Bunneymen track. And I love the priceless line in "The Young Ones" when Ric Mayal says "Right, that's it; I'm complaining. I'm writing to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunneymen. 'Dear Mr Echo...'"!!

PCS Will.