Tuesday 2 March 2010

Potholes in Mill Hill - A victory for the Barnet Eye


On Friday, I asked "Does the new system of reporting potholes to Barnet Council work". On Tuesday we have the answer. It does if the Barnet Eye takes up the case! The first case raised on the Fix My Street website (you can also access this via the link in the sidebar) was on 25th January. Despite several more reports, no action. On Friday, I wrote a blog and lo and behold Tuesday morning at 9.45am, this is the scene from my bedroom window (I've blotted out the faces of the Council employees). So yes, if you make enough fuss they fix your potholes.

I went down for a chat with the team fixing the holes, but sadly they weren't in a chatty mood. I asked how many potholes they'd fixed and they responded "who are you" I replied that I'm a local resident. They then told me I couldn't take any pictures in a slightly intimidatory fashion. As I'd already taken this one from my bedroom, I said "Ok" and departed (hence the blotted out faces to spare their embarrassment).

I think Council employees do a good job. I'm sure they've probably been getting all sorts of earfuls from residents about potholes, hence their defensive posture. I'd urge all readers of the Barnet Eye to remember that these guys are doing the best job they can in the circumstances. It's not their fault that Barnet Council woefully under resources them. You have the opportunity to have your say in the way things are run in Barnet in the Council Elections on May 6th. In the meantime, remember that if you have a pothole in your road, it will only get fixed if you report it. If they do nothing for a period of weeks, let me know and I'll write a nice blog and see if that helps (you'll have to send me a couple of piccies and a link to the fix my street report).

I must say that on  a personal and rather selfish level, I'm rather pleased that the Council listened to my blog and fixed the road this morning. One - Nil to the Barnet Eye.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Well done that man and thanks from me and I'm sure ALL the residents in Millway. Keep up the great work.