Friday 7 May 2010

Barnet Election Special - 10am News - Chaos at Colemanville

Well in my last update at 7pm last night I predicted it would be close. I wasn't wrong. Andrew Dismore lost out in Hendon ward by 150 votes. In the first count it was only 90 votes. Earlier in the evening a friendly Tory activist had told me "Matthew Offord will romp home".

As to the council elections, you may wonder what is happening there. They have not been counted, that will start at around 11am. There was a large turnout inspired by the general election. I genuinely don't know what the result will be.


A word must be said about the organisation of the count. Barnet Council erected 3 marquees to house the three constituency counts. These were absolutely freezing cold. Many of the staff drafted in had no winter clothes. They were there from 9pm, till the count was declared. I felt extremely sorry for them. The whole operation seemed shambolic at times. We were told that Hendon would declare at around 3am. At 7am, they had the first recount. I spoke to a Tory activist who had stood previously in Brent. He said that Brent are extremely efficient and he said that the way Barnet handled the election was poor. It is customary to thank the returning officer - in this case Mayor Brian Coleman as the man responsible. Lets just say he didn't spend too much time in the freezing cold tent.

I'm off in a minute for the council count. If I win my council seat, then the first thing I will do is try and ensure that for future elections a suitable venue is found. If I lose, the world is my Lobster. Unlike some of the career politicians, it isn't the end of the world for me. I was chatting to one of the Mill Hill Tory candidates, Brian Schama. Like me it was his first time standing for council. He said that whatever happened he was glad he took part as he has got to know Mill Hill a lot better. He said that observing the election close up is fascinating and it's worth it for the experience. I have to agree.

A last word on the general election in Hendon. Congratulations to Matthew Offord. It's fair to say I don't see eye to eye with him, but I hope he does a good job for the people of Hendon. I also hope he enjoyed his night. It was a long one and there were some tired and emotional people at the end. As to Andrew Dismore. Commiseration and thank you for all of your hard work in Hendon. Whatever people may say about Andrew, he has worked hard for the constituents. Finally to our candidate Matthew Harris. He worked hard in a seat he was never likely to win (apart from for 48 hours after the first leaders debate). I am sure we'll see more of Matthew. Thanks for your work on the campaign

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As he is my MP, I hope that Matthew Offord does a better job as a MP than he did as a councillor. According to the BBC, he has a majority of 106.

Anonymous said...

The voting system should be changed. I think this is essential above all else. We're about to have an awful government chosen by the minority of the people. What Clegg is doing talking to them I have no idea. The average Lib Dem supporter is well to the left of Labour.

David Sullivan said...

How odd, I thought Barnet Council had also rented use of Barnet College's BP100 which faces onto the space between buildings 3 & 4 at North London Business Park,, there's certainly notices up all over the place. Possibly not enough space for the General Election count last night but it's been used for the Local Election counts before.

Matthew Harris said...

Thanks, Roger, for your kind words. Thanks for all your help and hard work.