Saturday 13 August 2011

Brian Colemans plan to sneak in abolition of pay and display is foiled

The blogs of Barnet are suitably chuffed to hear that the attempt by Brian Coleman to sneak through the abolition of pay and display parking in Barnet has been foiled. The decision has now been called in for review by the cabinet. I've no idea whether anyone in the cabinet has the cojones to stand up to Coleman and throw his plans out, but at least there will be a discussion. I am looking forward to videoing the meeting, using our newly won powers.

I'd love to claim the credit for throwing a spanner in the works, but I got an email from Lib Dem Councillor Jack Cohen almost immediately after sending the email to the councillors, saying he'd already spotted it and called it in. Labour & Tory Councillors also got in touch to say the same thing pretty promptly.

It is pretty clear to me that no one has been too impressed with Colemans cunning stunt. A Tory councillor (who asked to remain anonymous) confided that he was most unimpressed with the way this has been handled. He said "I don't agree with most of what you write in your blog, but I can't argue with you that this needed a proper discussion". I put it to him that as Brian Coleman is one councillor that officers generally don't push around, this clearly has Colemans fingerprints all over it. His response "Heh Heh, you may say that, I couldn't possibly comment". indeed

1 comment:

somersetchris said...

So that means that people who do not have a credit card AND a mobile phone will still be able to visit us!