Saturday 2 March 2024

The Saturday List #431 - My ten favourite album covers of all time

 This list was prompted by legendary BBC Radio London presenter Gary Crowley mentioning on Facebook that Peter Blake was doing the cover for the new Paul Weller album. I absolutely love a good album cover. With the advent of CD's, great album covers became a thing of the past. There was a time when it was an integral part of the package. With the return of vinyl, there is a bit of a trend back to actually having decent album covers. Anyway, I thought I'd make a list of my favourites, with a few words as to why.

1. New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury. 

Ian Dury standing with his son Baxter outside a very 1970's looking clothes emporium, it reminded me of Burnt Oak, where I was at school. This fascinated me when it came out. It was in many ways, the antithesis of the overblown arty covers favoured by the 70's prog rockers, but it was a million times more interesting. It made a statement about what was on the album. I was 15 when this came out and I felt I was somewhere between Dury and his son Baxter in age. The Queen had the Poet Laureate, but us lot had Ian Dury and the cover of New Boots and Panties said everything we needed at know.



2. Band on the run - Wings.

One of the first albums I bought. Side one of this records is both sublime and brilliant. The cover features a stack of the most high profile characters of the era, Michael Parkinson, John Conteh, Clement Freud, James Coburn, Christopher Lee and Kenny Lynch, caught in a spotlight with  a brick wall background. Parkinson makes a gun shape with his hand, which is also caught in silhouette. 

It was an incredibly evocative cover. Getting such figures to pose for the picture was something of a coup, that perhaps only an ex Beatle could pull off. Apparently the celebs were in what Wikipedia describe as a substance haze, following a party at McCartneys. 


3. Ramones - The Ramones

One of the most seminal albums of all time. It's stark simplicity is a thing of immense beauty. I love Tommy Ramone's look, belly button exposed and super cool shades. Joey looking very gangly and uncomfortable Johnny posing for the camera and Dee Dee looking like he simply doesn't want to be there at all. Filmed in black and white, it gives a real classical feel to it. 

In many wa ys they don't really look like the classic '76 punk look, with their long hair, jeans and sneakers. No bondage pants or arty Westwood T shirts. 



4. Dawn Of The Dickies - The Dickies.

All of the previous chices have been rather classic and serious, this is pure fun. The album is an absolute classic, that has been virtually forgotten. The cover is brilliant. The theme is that the the band are being attacked by Zombies, although the Zombies don't actually look that frightening. 

The band all looking terrified apart from sing Leonard Graves Phillips, who is deep in Prayer. Like all of the above, I spent hours contemplating this, as the LP span on the turntable.

My family have been instructed that they must play "Stuck in a pagoda with Tricia Toyota at my funeral, or they may fall victim to a scene like this, as I rise from the dead to vent my wrath!


5. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones.

Any list that did not contain this, is a very poor list indeed. My sister Val had the original release, with the working zipper, which as a wee nipper, I found fascinating. It helps that it is the Stones best album. 

I don't think I took much notice of album covers before this one. You simply couldn't ignore it. As a piece of graphic design it is wonderful. Simple and effective with the stamps of the album name and band name. It reinforces to me the fact that the best images are strong and simple. I quite like the fact that the Stones know they are well known enough to not have a photo of themselves on the record.



6. Sailor - The Steve Miller Band.

I love this album cover. The idea that the earth is the moon, and the band are shipwrecked in a storm has always fascinated me. 

I also love Boz Scaggs pose, with his guitar looking big and wonderful. Drummer Tim Davis is standing at the front in his hat, looking cool and dapper. Bearing in mind that the album was released in 1968, at the height of the civil rights protests, this was actually quite a statement, Steve Miller is almost hiding behind him. Keyboard player Jim Peterman looks like an out of place cowboy. 

I am intrugued by bassplayer Lonnie Turners pose, it is hard to hold a bass like that. Normally you'd hold the base of it. A great idea, very evocative.


7.  London Calling  - The Clash.

There are so many aspects  of this that are wonderful. The lettering is a nod to Elvis Presley, who used similar for his first album. The picture is of bassist Paul Simenon smashing his bass.  Penny Smith, who took the picture, didn't want it used as it was out of focus, but Joe Strummer overrid her, thankfully. The picture is acknowledged as possibly the best rock and roll picture of all time.

The album marked a realturning point in the Clash's musical career. The first album was a wonderful blast of pure punk. The second, in my opinion was just a bit too overproduced and bland. London Calling was the first time you really heard the true voice of the Clash. I almost think of it as a different band to the first two albums. A fitting cover. 


8. Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols.

Ok, here's a confession. I was gutted when I saw this cover at first. I hated it. The preceding singles had great artwork and interesting covers. Then this came out. It was just letters, no anarchic images of the Queen etc. My first thought was that Richard Branson of Virgin Records was a cheapskate who was too tight to pay for a decent cover.

How wrong I was. It is one of the most influential pieces of pop/art design of all time. It has been copied, ripped off and reused more than just about any other design concept of the era. 

And it's a great album.


9. Blondie - Blondie.

There are five people on the cover of this album, but for the first twenty years I had it, I only noticed Debbie Harry. I  suspect that this is the only album I've ever bought purely for the cover, I was fifteen at the time and Debbie Harry was my idea of the perfect woman. The album is rather good, which was a bonus. 

It was not commercially successful, the follow up Parallel Lines was the one that broke the band, I was rather chuffed to be ahead of the game. In actual fact, I think this is probably their best album, I love Rip Her To Shreds, which was the single. 

In terms of design, it is simple and wonderful.


10. Action - Desmond Dekker and The Aces 

I just love this image. I have a special love of Desmond Dekker as my first date with the missus was seeing him at Dingwalls on New Years Eve 1985. 

He was a cool dude and an amazing singer. This picture captures the energy and vibe of Desmond at his very best. I have few regrets, but I'd love to have seen Desmond in 1968 when the Israelites came out, but I was six years old.

Making a live action gig pic into a great album cover seems such a simple idea, but it is so rarely executed well. This and the Clash, are to me, the best examples. 

------------------

-----


If you fancy a night out, why not come and see my band, The False Dots on Sat 23rd March at the Beehive in Bow

 Tickets: bit.ly/42qVHCN


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great choice