Wednesday 20 March 2024

Wellbeing Wednesday #3 - Fasting for Lent - Does it work?

Today's subject is Lent and giving things up for lent, but first a little review of where I am in my own personal struggle to get fit.

In Junuary we started a new, occasional series called Wellbeing Wednesday. I started with some plans to get fit and lose weight. So lets start with a review of how I've done?

Exercise

I've managed to just about stick to my targets for February and March

Cycling - Minimum 50km a month, Target for year 600km

Rowing - Minimum to June 10km a month,  July to December 40Km per month - Annual total 300km

Cross Trainer Jan - June. 1.5km per week 


A bit under for the cycling, ahead on the rowing and cross trainer.

Weight/BMI

My target was to get down under a BMI of 30 by the end of February. I've missed this by a bit. I think this may be as much due to putting on muscle as losing fat. I am definitely a fair bit thinner. I was 32.2 at the start of the year and 31.1 at the end of January, so it is still going in the right direction. The weight is down from 111 at the start of the year and 107 at the end of January



Alcohol

The plan was to not drink for 4 days a week. I've stuck to this pretty much. Last week I had 5 days off, the week before 2 days, I think it is averaging 4 pretty much. 

Mental Health wellbeing

I said that when I started this series, I'd keep a food and wellbeing diary. I failed miserably, doing it for two weeks. I sort of concluded that it was too much hassle. In truth that was as much being too disorganised and lazy to do it properly.

Fasting for Lent - Does it work?

Being from a traditional Catholic background, I always try and give something up for Lent, which is a 40 day period leading up to Easter, which is Sunday week. I try and do something that is healthy. This year, it has been red wine. I didn't want to completely give up alcohol, as we had quite a few events etc. I allowed myself last Saturday off. I chose wine, as I enjoy it a bit too much and if I over indulge in any drink it's wine.  I've noticed that the less I drink, the better my fitbit says my cardio health is. It seems to work!

I've given up all manner of things over the years for Lent. This has included sugar in tea, alcohol, meat, red meat, non organic meat, sweets, chocolate and other things I can't quite recall. It generally reflects how I feel at the time and what changes I think I need to make in my life. Some of the changes have been permanent or semi permanent. Sugar became permanent, meat became semi permanent (I gave it up for 16 years, but concluded  a non meat diet is unhealthy after I developed a vitamin b12 deficiency and associated symptoms). I have always stuck to the rules I've set, except when I have not gone into it seriously and prepared myself.

There are three rules that I always set myself. The first is that the change has to have what I perceive as a positive benefit for my health in some way. The second is that it is a change I wish to make and I am not doing it begrudgingly and the third is that whatever I give up, I have to miss in some way (that is the good Catholic in me). 

As I mentioned, on Saturday I gave myself a night off the abstinance. A friend was having a birthday party at a lovely hotel in Whitstable and paid for a fabulous meal. I just felt I'd not be properly participating if I didn't have a glass or two. I ended up overdoing it, which is why you see a big spike on the heart rate chart on the left. 

I have Muslim friendswho observe the Ramadan fast, which is a very different beast. The Ramadan fast means that you cannot drink or eat anything from sunrise to sunset and it is seen as a religious duty to do this. They find the concept of elective fasting quite bizarre and rather too easy for their liking. They feel that the strict regime of Ramadan really tests your mettle. For me, this is not a consideration. I admire the commitment of anyone who does it, but for me, it isn't really a religious thing as much as a reminder to review what you are doing and seek change. It is not compulsory for Catholics to give up things for Lent. I used to do it for the period of my life where I did not consider myself a Catholic. It is good to look at what you do and try and change things that could work better. I have always found Lenten abstinance to be a good thing. It gives you a chance to break self destructive patterns and test things out (only eating organic meat, as a treat). A few years ago, I was spendingtoo much time in the pub, so I gave up beer. Recently I've been drinking too much red wine at home, going to the pub hasn't been a problem. Things change.

So does it work? I works pretty well for me. I am no holier than I have ever been, but a bit of reflection on what changes you need to make is not a bad thing. Like many things in life, if it works for you, it works.





.

No comments: