Congratulations to Spain. Clearly the best team in the competition by some way. I am especially pleased that Rodri picked up the player of the tournament, as he is a Manchester City legend. He is a decent, humble player who makes his mark on the pitch. As has been the case throughout the tournament, Argentina seemingly had a free pass to kick opponents. Spain were good enough to rise above it. The game was awful though. Argentina didn’t manage a shot on target. The ‘half time show’ was appalling, and clearly did players no favours. The spectacle of Donald Trump lurking on the stage as Spain celebrated was bizarre and embarrassing. At the end, several players brawled like petulant children.
Oddly the third place final was the opposite. A celebration of football. Great players had the shackles of fear removed and served up a ten goal treat. At the end, a huddle of French & English players formed a huddle to pray together. It was how it should be. No Trump stealing the limelight. I don’t know if it would be possible to remove the shackles and fear in a proper final. I suspect that the game would have been very different if both teams made the final, but it was a joy to watch.
What is clear is that the football authorities and lawmakers have turned the sport into a game that seemingly rewards cheats, is only about making cash and provides a platform to dodgy politicians to bask in other people’s glory.
On Saturday I’ll be back at Brickfield Lane to watch Hadley FC in a non league friendly. I’m sure it will be a better game. For clarity my comments above are not directed at Spain who I think are a marvellous team and have a wonderful country, and leaders who seem to have a moral compass
No comments:
Post a Comment