Thursday 2 April 2009

Barnet Councillor apologises & legs it !


Barnet Tory Councillor Richard Weider has decided to set an example to his rather useless senior colleagues. He has apologised and emigrated. I wish Richard every success in his new life in Israel and hope that he learned something from his time in Barnet. I sincerely hope that he can pursuade Mike Freer et all to join him some time very soon. An apology from Freer for losing £27.4 million in Iceland would be nice, rather than the not me guv, he currently tells everyone. Maybe he could find something for Matthew Offord as well. It would be nice to hear an apology from him for the terrible cost overruns at Aerodrome road, rather than blaming it on Andrew Harper who took over once it started going pear shape. Maybe he could find something for Lynn Hillan as well. She really should start apologising for her scheme to make the Boroughs elderly residents vulnerable by abolishing the Sheltered Housing Wardens in the majority of the boroughs accomodation. As we all know, a few blocks will keep their wardens. The ever caring Hillan made sure her mum was in a home keeping it's wardens before the cuts were announced. Pure Coincidence, she bleated.

Anyway, here's what Richard Weider had to say in full. He say's he'd love to see us all in Israel. Thanks for the offer Richard, I'll pass that one by, but I'd love to see the unholy trinity detailed above join you :-

Dear Edgware Resident

I am writing to let you know that two weeks ago my wife Sonia and I decided to make aliyah (emigrate) to Israel. I have therefore decided to step down as a Councillor for Edgware Ward.

For the past three years I have felt privileged to serve, support, represent and help the people of Edgware both on their individual issues and those relating to Barnet Council.

I have also been proud to be part of the Conservative Administration running Barnet Council under the leadership of Councillors Mike Freer and Matthew Offord and hope you have experienced some of the improvements that I have helped to achieve.

These achievements have included amongst others:

- The improvement of Edgware Library and its opening on Sundays;

- Improvements to Stonegrove Park and Edgwarebury Park, which recently received a Green Flag;

- Continued improvements to local schools;

- The rebuilding of Broadfields Primary;

- The planning permission for Edgware Jewish Primary School;

- Improvements to recycling so that plastic and cardboard can now be recycled;

- Fighting for better health care;

- Good local cohesion;

- Working closely with the local police.

In order to save you the local taxpayers £10,000 cost of a by-election, my resignation will be timed to coincide with the European elections, scheduled for 4th June. In the meantime you will continue to be represented by my two colleagues:

Cllr Helena Hart – cllr.h.hart@barnet.gov.uk – 020 8371 0658

Cllr Joan Scannell – cllr.j.scannell@barnet.gov.uk – 020 8959 5921

My wife and I have decided to emigrate to Israel, because we believe passionately in Israel as the home of Jewish people and believe it is where all Jews should strive to live. Therefore, at this stage in our lives we believe this is the correct step to make.

Whilst, we are moving for positive reasons, we are also concerned about the rising levels of anti-Semitism in England, where Jews no longer always feel comfortable living as Jews and supporting Israel.

Over my life I have learnt to love Israel, and for the past ten years I have been doing my best to show this to others by supporting and representing Israel.

However, I also believe that it is time for us to contribute even more to Israel by living our lives here and helping to make it as successful a country as possible.

I hope that during my time as Councillor, you have appreciated what I have done, even if you did not always agree with it. I also apologies to anyone that I upset.

Finally, I hope to see you all in the future, either here in Israel or in London.

Richard

Cllr Richard Weider

8 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Cllr Weider is right to be concerned at the rising level of anti-Semitism in this country but I fear his actions will be construed by the BNP and their ilk as a success in their desire to ethnically cleanse the country.

I completely understand his desire to move his family to Israel, which will strengthen that country, but at the same time it weakens ours. We need to stand up to the fascists, not run away.

Barnet Council Watching said...

Cure for an obsession: get another one.

Rog T said...

Barnet Council Watching

Cure for being a tw*t?

Get another blogger ID?

Anonymous said...

He doesn't apologise for his views, he apologies to people he may have upset. Most of the other facts are rumour, hearsay and down right lies.

Wardens haven't been cut and every bit of news coverage locally confirms that it's a proposal and people are being asked for their views:

http://www.times-series.co.uk/search/4241306.Association_pushes_for_sheltered_housing_consultation_extension/

It clearly says consultation, not "decision has been made to cut wardens".

If the money in Iceland was 'lost' would the new Chief Executive have said he was confident that the money will be returned? Also, do you not think council tax would have soared to cover a blackhole in the finances?

http://www.times-series.co.uk/blogs/newsroom/4226558.New_council_boss_gives_first_ever_interview/

Either you see what you want to see or you are just a flat out liar. An apology for misleading your readers perhaps? I won't hold my breath, after all in the spirit of the posting sorry seems to be the hardest word.

Rog T said...

Hey Boombastic,

I thought you were just a lovable Finchley drunk, not a Tory Spokesperson?

Firstly, Lost means you can't find something. It may be gone for ever, it may turn up. Buy a dictionary. It is certainly lost at this point in time.

Sheltered Housing wardens. It's a proposal put forward by Hillan. The public are telling her what they think, they don't like it.
If she withdraws her proposal, I'll stop saying she's planning to cut wardens. Are you saying she's not plannig to cut wardens.

I'll tell you what. You like a drink, I like a drink. I'll buy you Stella all night. You can tell me to my face exactly why I'm a liar. I'll record the whole conversation and blog the interesting bits. You can have the tape and make a podcast.

Let's see who's a liar, who really likes the Ramones and who can drink more beer !

I'll even pay for your cab home. Can't say fairer than that

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Boombastic,

The new Chief Executive (who was formerly Executive Director for Resources when the money was despotised in Iceland) says he is confident we will get our money bank. However, the Icelandic Business Minister says that the banks’ assets exceed their liabilities and creditors will not get all of their money back.

Who of the two should we believe?

The council has conducted a consultation over the wardens but, as Cllr Macdonald stated in a message on my blog, the proposed saving of £950,000 “has already been identified in the administrations budget which has been passed” so the council has clearly made its mind up on this issue.

The consultation is nothing more than lip service. I would be interested to know how many times any local authority has proposed a new policy and then changed its mind after public protest. I would be happy to be proved wrong, but am not holding my breath.

Rog and I have both stated our view on the warden issue. Where do you stand?

Anonymous said...

@RogT - "Hey Boombastic,

I thought you were just a lovable Finchley drunk, not a Tory Spokesperson?"

Are you saying the two are mutually exclusive? Shurley not?

Rog T said...

Dan,

No comment, but you certainly raised a chuckle !