Wednesday 16 May 2018

The Wednesday Poem #44 - Memories of a Free Festival (in honour of the North Finchley Festival this weekend!)

Oh Lord, do I miss David Bowie. I doubt that there is any artist who had such a diverse body of work. Bowie was one of the main reasons I got into music. One of the reasons, I spend my life organising music festivals. This weekend, we have a Free Festival in North Finchley! Six venues and over 50 bands! What more could you want?

We are pleased to welcome a brand new venue to the Festival family. Asoos Indian restaurant are joining in the fun. Why not drop in for a tasty Bhaji, a chicken tikka and a vindaloo before heading on down  to the Bohemia and the Elephant in to dance the night away. What better sort of festival could there be!

As I was sitting, poring over the schedules, Bowie's "Memory of a Free Festival" popped up on my Spotify playlist. This song is a real inspiration for me. I love the concept of Free music festivals. I've played a few over the years. The Montrose Festival in Burnt Oak Park, The Grahame Park Festival, Jesterfest in Fortune Green, The Mill Hill Music Festival and of course last years North Finchley Festival (as well as a few rather less formal festivals that we've played over the years).

This is a beautiful song. I absolutely love the Coda of the song (the bit at the end for you non muso's). What other poem could we possible choose for this weeks Wednesday poem. I was tempted to make a "found poem" using this and a few others, but decided that I really couldn't better the work of the master.

I'd love a few of our readers to submit some poetry about local events (past, present and future). I really love the concept



Memory Of A Free Festival

The Children of the summer's end
Gathered in the dampened grass
We played Our songs and felt the London sky
Resting on our hands
It was God's land
It was ragged and naive
It was Heaven

Touch, We touched the very soul
Of holding each and every life
We claimed the very source of joy ran through
It didn't, but it seemed that way
I kissed a lot of people that day

We scanned the skies with rainbow eyes 
and saw machines of every shape and size
We talked with tall Venusians passing through
And Peter tried to climb aboard 
but the Captain shook his head
And away they soared Climbing 
through the ivory vibrant cloud
Someone passed some bliss among the crowd
And We walked back to the road, unchained

The Sun Machine is Coming Down, and We're Gonna Have a Party
The Sun Machine is Coming Down, and We're Gonna Have a Party
The Sun Machine is Coming Down, and We're Gonna Have a Party
The Sun Machine is Coming Down, and We're Gonna Have a Party
 The Sun Machine is Coming Down, and We're Gonna Have a Party.






Come on down at the weekend and join in the fun!

No comments: