How has your week been? I've had a pretty good week. Five a side footy on Thursday, pleasant evening in the services club on Friday and a wonderful evenings entertainment last night at The Black Horse in Barnet in the company of the rather wonderful Mr Lee Thompson of Madness and The Silencerz. It is great seeing a cracking band in a pub again. It was packed.
Anyway, enough of my week. What have the rather wonderful tweeters of the Borough of Barnet been up to.
1. Lets start with a date for your diary from one of our favourite Tweeters
The new border is up! 👏🏻 Massive THANK YOU to David and Thomas who have done an incredible work by building this wooden board up and finding a perfect spot for it! 😍🙌🏻 JOIN US on Sunday 30th of Jan for some Conservation works 🍃💚🍂 Register here ⬇️ https://t.co/XRQ2XnkhpQ pic.twitter.com/hpjrVNoKZL— Friends of the Welsh Harp (@welshharpies) January 17, 2022
2. A sad little bit of Bunrt Oak history. I didn't know about this, it's one of the reasons I still love Twitter. Ron is a wonderful Tweeter
22 January 1889. Birth of Harry George Hawker MBE, AFC., in Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia. Aviation pioneer and co-founder of Hawker Aircraft. He died 12 July 1921 in the crash of his Nieuport Goshawk (G-EASK) in a park at Burnt Oak, Edgware while preparing for the Aerial Derby. pic.twitter.com/n6E0nI0uSv— Ron Eisele (@ron_eisele) January 21, 2022
3. If you want to get on this list, a bit of Rock and Roll memorabilia is a surefire way. The Sparrowhawk in Broadfields, Edgware was a real hub of 70's and 80's rock and roll. The Meteor's are well worth a check out
Nigel Lewis, The Meteors 1st gig at The Sparrow Hawk Pub, Edgware, Middlesex, 25th July, 1980. pic.twitter.com/nY4r1ukJjR— Graham Crosby (@Gracro5) January 21, 2022
THE METEORS 1st gig at The Sparrow Hawk Pub, Edgware, Middlesex, 25th July, 1980 pic.twitter.com/ur2rdoCvhY— Graham Crosby (@Gracro5) January 21, 2022
4. Another great tweet by the Mill Hill Historical Society
Very interesting discussion about Jewish and North London history between Hugh Petrie of Barnet Archives and @SeeTheTreasures— Mill Hill Hist Soc (@MHHistSoc) January 18, 2022
Hosted by @EUSynagogue who have many local history videoshttps://t.co/a4YoUgfAet pic.twitter.com/kSOH25hPZo
5. INteresting bit of local industrial history here
The main office door for the Rolls Razor factory on Cricklewood Broadway in the 1950s.— NW London TimeMachine (@time_nw) January 23, 2022
Shutterstock image. pic.twitter.com/MF4r1KEXWM
6. This tweet is wonderful!
Mystery solved: Both A Night to Remember (1958) and I, Monster (1971) were filmed at Cricklewood Pumping Station. The building remains, but the engines are long-gone, unfortunately. Big thanks to Adrian Charlton for solving this one. Photo by J Hupfield: https://t.co/AbuoOauceo https://t.co/sna0r9lTFQ pic.twitter.com/0B2ZAjC4Co— Hammer Gothic (@HammerGothic) January 18, 2022
7. I do like a good console! Nice
Very geeky studio picture of the youth radio station I very briefly worked at back in 2008 based in Colindale, I updated their Myriad with loads of new music once a week 🤓 #Radio #RadioStation #Studio #London pic.twitter.com/14t8r2RCCV— Antonio Della Mura (@AntonioPyro) January 12, 2022
8. Goal of the week in the Borough of Barnet (well by a Borough of Barnet team to be correct) - How did the rather marvellous Jordan Edwards get this in?
49’ GOAL Jordan Edwards doubles his tally and our lead— Hadley FC (@hadleyfc) January 22, 2022
LEI 0-2 HAD pic.twitter.com/O91kdVnWap
9. Now this was an impressive setup!
This was some setup in studio 16 yesterday pic.twitter.com/wrtX6epicx— #MillHillMusicComplex (@MillHillMusicCo) January 22, 2022
10. And finally.... Ever fancied doing a bit of writing for your local paper? Here's your chance!
Barnet Post welcomes voluntary contributions: writing, art and photography.— BarnetPost (@BarnetPost) January 21, 2022
We believe that local people are the best placed to tell their own stories.
If you live or work in Barnet, here's how to pitch something to us > https://t.co/cK8OL4ZIse pic.twitter.com/w2aDMWvHq8
That's all folks!