Here is the key information you need to know about the local elections.
Important deadlines for voters
- register to vote by midnight, Thursday 14 April 2022
- apply for a postal vote by 5pm, Tuesday 19 April 2022
- apply for a proxy vote by 5pm Tuesday 26 April 2021
Polling day: Thursday 5 May 2022, from 7am to 10pm.
Barnet's ward boundaries have changed
New electoral arrangements for Barnet Council will come into effect at these elections on 5 May. The new ward boundaries mean:
- Barnet will continue to have 63 councillors, but the number of wards is increasing from 21 to 24
- there will be 15 wards with 3 councillors and 9 wards with 2 councillors
What the changes mean for you
- your ward will be represented by 2 or 3 councillors depending on how many electors it has
- the name of your ward may have changed
- the polling station where you go to vote may have changed
Find out more about why the ward boundaries have change, Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) statutory review
Who can vote
All people on the electoral register can vote except British citizens living overseas.
If you are not yet registered, you can register to vote online
Ways to vote
Voting in person on polling day
Polling districts and polling station have changed for the Local Elections on 5 May.
- what to expect at polling stations
- the ballot paper(s)
- opening and closing times for polling stations
- assistance and disability support available to residents at a polling station
Apply to vote by post
You must be registered to vote before you can apply to vote by post.
Apply for someone to vote on your behalf (proxy voting)
You must be registered to vote before you can apply to vote by proxy.
Information for Candidates and Election Agents
Find out more about standing for election
You can also visit Electoral Commission website
Local Government Elections timetable
- Publication of Notice of Election on Monday 28 March
- Publication of Statement of Persons nominated on Wednesday 6 April
- Deadline to register to vote on Thursday 14 April (midnight)
- Receipt of postal vote applications on Tuesday 19 April (5pm)
- Receipt of proxy vote applications on Tuesday 26 April (5pm)
- First day to issue replacement postal votes on Thursday 28 April
- Day of election (poll) on Thursday 5 May (7am to 10pm)
- Counting of votes on Thursday 5 May (from 10pm)