So here we are, half way through August. How has your week been? I've had a good week, catching up with friends, seeing my first football locally since December, it feels like things are really starting to get back to normal, which is a pretty good feeling. Lets have a look at what our esteemed local tweeters have been up to.
1. It was great to be back at Brickfield Lane watching Hadley FC. Great to see so many familiar faces. This was a real highlight, a good performance from Flackwell, who did well with ten men and kept going until the last minute, but Hadley just about edged it 2-1
2. A date for your diary
Join Thames21 to learn more about invasive species on our waterways in an online session. Then get stuck in with a Himalayan Balsam Bash on the Burnt Oak Brook! 👇— Your River Brent (@YourRiverBrent) August 10, 2021
Part 1 (online): Tue 17/08- 6pm-7pm
Part 2 (on the Brook): Sat 21/08- 10:30am-1:30pmhttps://t.co/ERzfr8xiQ3
3. I love this picture from Pete Scully. I've had a few bags of tasty chips from the Captains Cabin over the years. Used to have to walk past it when I lived in Mollison Way for a couple of years, on the way back from Burnt Oak Station, the aroma of fish and chips was irresistable.
Seven years ago today I drew the Captain's Cabin fish & chip shop in Burnt Oak, north London, because I always liked their fish & chips. When I was a kid I'd get a bag of chips (plenty of salt and vinegar) with a bread roll and a can of tango from here. pic.twitter.com/9hGMaAWsHC— Pete Scully (@petescully) August 8, 2021
4. Regular readers will know that we've been supporting Mark Amies and his campaign to save the Railway hotel in Edgware for several years. I do hope one day I can stop including these tweets and have a pint in their with Mark instead
The Railway Hotel, Edgware, yesterday. @HistoricEngland @BarnetCouncil Please note the gates are now broken. Yet again, the property is insecure. This Grade 2 building is at risk, you need to do more to protect it. #RailwayHotelEdgware @Barneteye @ProtectPubs @NLondonCAMRA pic.twitter.com/QMEVeIaBak— Mark Amies (@Superfast72) August 15, 2021
5. Another date for your diary. we thoroughly recommend this
Live music✔️— East Finchley Festival (@EastFinchFest) August 14, 2021
Free taster sessions and demos✔️
Free kids activities✔️
60 stalls featuring local makers, traders and community groups✔️
12-6pm, 5 Sept, Cherry Tree Wood, N2. https://t.co/0IOdNrfbjk pic.twitter.com/MVSiOCKDZF
6. Any Adobe Illustrators out there who fancy helping a very fine community project?
We are looking for a Volunteer with Adobe Illustrator experience who can work with a local artist on a History project for Cricklewood Station.— CRICKLEWOOD (@cipcricklewood) August 14, 2021
Please message us if you would like to get involved. pic.twitter.com/6hzT7nS7Yg
7. Fun was had in West Hendon Yesterday!
8. And fun will be had in Edgware next weekend
Very excited to annonce my 1st gig of the year! I’ll be performing at Edgware Community Festival!— Stephanie McCourt (@mccourtofficial) August 11, 2021
Location-Car park area behind the Broadwalk Shopping Centre.
In affiliation with @MillhillMusicco @Barnetcouncil @eventumbrella pic.twitter.com/iaRhUM9tGz
9. If you like beer, why not get a freshly brewed can from our local brewery!
Our on-site brewery @LondonBrewingCo has been canning up a storm this week 🍺🍺🍺Fresh cans are now chilling in our fridges with 30% off on takeaway! #craftbeer #lovebeer #beer #beercan #drinkbeer #brewery #brewpub #londonbrewery #ukbrewery #londondrinks #drinklocal #londonpub pic.twitter.com/Vy9VwCs3Tx— The Bohemia (@Bohemia_N12) August 11, 2021
10. What's your favourite riff? This one sounds pretty good to me, but I have to admit I am biased!
At Mill Hill Music Complex, we love a good riff. This one from the False Dots sounds pretty good to us! What’s your favourite riff? pic.twitter.com/ApR8LAIZZ9— #MillHillMusicComplex (@MillHillMusicCo) August 15, 2021
That's all folks!