Sunday 11 October 2009

Breaking News : Brian Coleman eaten by crocodiles at Sheepwash pond !

Time for the Barnet Eye round up of weekly news. Firstly to the big story of the week. Actually, I'm pleased to say that, Brian Coleman hasn't been eaten by crocodiles at Sheepwash pond. But I found out something about him that's even more unlikely. If I'd have put it as the headline, you'd have thought I was winding you up or telling porkies, so I thought I'd write something a bit more believable. In the course of my investigations regarding Mayor Coleman's outrageous statements about bringing in  "Chinese style" censorship of bloggers on the net, I happened to talk to someone who is very friendly with Brian Coleman about his opposition to the Cricklewood regeneration project. I knew he opposed the scheme, but I didn't know why. His opposition is a matter of public record, but I've been unable to find out what exactly he didn't like. Well now I know and I thought I'd share it with you. I'd urge everyone opposed to the scheme to email councillor Coleman and urge him to speak at the planning meeting. Council Leader Mike Freer is, so I see no reason why the Mayor shouldn't, especially as for once he's spot on. One thing rather puzzles me. Why is it that when Coleman spouts nonsense, it's plastered all over everywhere, yet when he campaigns on a sensible issue and says reasonable things they don't print it? Anyway why has Coleman gone against his leader on Cricklewood? The reason  is because he believes that in a Borough such as Barnet, low rise, low density housing is far more suitable than big tower blocks. He also believes that children need gardens. He believes that the Cricklewood scheme will be a huge step towards the destruction of Barnet as a pleasant place to live. Well Mayor Coleman, for once I totally agree with you. If your views aren't being covered elsewhere, drop me an email and you can do a guest blog here.

Anyway, moving on, you may wonder why I brought Sheepwash pond into the occasion. A supposedly feel good story is doing the rounds. A Capabaya, the worlds largest rodent, has been spotted at Darlands lake. Now you may not know this, but Brian Coleman is the chairman of the Darlands lake management committee. That's not  why I mention it though. The  press think this is a good news story, I think it's appalling. It is the result of people buying exotic pets, then dumping them. A similar problem happened a few years ago at Sheepwash pond. Terrapins were released and took over the pond, killing many fish and ducklings. Red squirrels have nearly been driven to extinction by the non native grey's. Whilst we may like seeing exotic species, it has the potential to destroy the ecosystem. This is under enough pressure as it is without idiots releasing all sorts of flora and fauna across the country. Millions are spent treating Japanese knotweed infesttations. The problem is one that has huge costs. If crocodiles had been released into Sheepwash pond and they had eaten Mayor Coleman, maybe people would take this seriously. Why does the situation have to get that bad?

Music news - I just thought I'd let you know that I've got tickets for four gigs lined up. First off, we're off to see Smokey Robinson at the BBC Electric proms at the Roundhouse on the 24th October. Next up is the Pogues at Brixton Academy on 18th December. Following hot on the heels of that it's Public Image on 21st, again at Brixton Academy. Lastly it's Iggy and the Stooges in May next year at Hammersmith Apollo. However if any of you want a real treat, you can see my band playing at the Claddagh Ring in Hendon on Friday 13th November for Barnet Unison. We're called the False Dots and we've got Connie, our fabulous singer guesting with us. There will be a few other bands, including an Irish band. Full details to follow.

No comments: