Saturday 13 July 2019

The Saturday List #223 - The Top Ten Tweeters to follow on Twitter

So what makes a Twitter account worth following? For me it is an account that posts information I find interesting. This may be someone who takes interesting pictures, posts interesting stuff about music or history or just off the wall stuff. It may be that they are just rather witty. I have a bit of an aversion to feeds that are over filled with GIF's and Emoji's as I tend not to find juvenile accounts very interesting and grown ups wanting to get down with the kids even worse. Don't get me wrong, the odd one can occasionally make me smile, but that is when they are used to emphasise an already interesting point.  I thought I'd have a look and see who has caught my eye. Now don't get me wrong,  not everyone on this list of people are people I like and admire, although most I admire very much, but if you were new to Twitter, these are the ones to follow first. I've picked one from each sphere of interest that I have.


1. @RealDonaldTrump - When the history of the 21st Century is written (if we ever make the 22nd), I wonder what the books will say of Donald Trump. Love him or hate him, he was the first President to embrace Twitter and although much of what he tweets is truly horrific, if you are not following him, you are probably missing out on the Social Media show of the century. I believe that Trumps behaviour will become the norm not the exception in years to come.  Donald Trump has redefined the art of political tweeting and I don't think that the Genie can be put back in the bottle.


2. @NancySinatra - Daughter of Frank and living legend. If you need an antidote to Trump follow Nancy. I had a massive crush on her in the '60's when I saw her amazing rendition of 'These boots were made for walking'. I was only six and I wasn't quite sure why I was fascinated, but fascinated I was. Out of curiosity, I checked her out on Twitter and found that like a good wine, she's improved with age. She strikes me as someone who would be great to sit next to at a dinner party. But best of all she is full of humanity. A big credit to her Dad.



3. @JamesMartinSJ - If you think all US Roman Catholic Priests are raving bigots, check out Fr James Martin. He gives me a degree of hope for the Roman Catholic Church and for humanity. I am amazed at his fortitude in the face of a truly vile campaign of harrassment on



4. @RodneyMarsh10 - Football is one of my big loves. Rodney Marsh was my hero in the mid 70's. A marque signing for Manchester City FC and a mercurial talent. His twitter feed is hilarious. I especially enjoy his baiting of Manchester United Fans. I don't think anyone is better at this.



5. @CrowleyOnAir -  BBC Radio London DJ Gary Crowley is a massive figure in the London music scene (and by default the global music scene). His championing of new bands is legendary. He has probably got the best Twitter feed of any DJ. If you like music, it is well worth following. Gary gets Twitter and really uses it to interact with fans. This tweet is an excellent example



6. @BritainElects - Now for something completely different! This site lists all of the election results and opinion polls. If you write a blog which sometimes covers politics, as I do, it is invaluable. I find the results from obscure council's elsewhere in the country fascinating. I also love the way that the politically motivated (me included) usually retweet these to gloat when their political flavour of choice is doing well.



7. @YesteryearTweet - The work of Mark Amies, who is great friend of this blog and the Industrial History correspondent for BBC Radio London. I enjoy looking at historical pictures and Mark does this very well. It's worth having a listen to him every other Tuesday on the Robert Elms Show.





8. @Boakand Bailey - If like me you like beer, then beer tweeters are a very handy source of info for fine pubs and tasty ales. For me, Boak and Bailey are the best.



9. @DeletedbyMPs -  This is  a must. MP's continually post things then regret it, this will give you a chuckle or two. It certainly has for me




10. @DoonesburyComic -  Garry Trudeau's Doonesbury cartoon has consistently been the finest newspaper cartoon strip for decades. Follow it on Twitter if you don't but the Guardian.



No comments: