Wednesday 3 June 2009

Immunisation

Yesterday I wrote an affectionate blog about my dearly departed Mum. As I write this, I am listening to the Eddie Nestor show on 94.9 BBC London. A woman has just called in stating that she has refused all immunisations for her children. She claims that unless a doctor can tell her that it is 100% safe she will continue to resist calls.

The woman is claiming that she has a stronger immune system because she hasn't been immunised. The woman complains that she is a member of a group called "informed parent". She said that the "drugs in immunisations are harmful".

When I heard this, I wished my mother was still alive. I remember about 10 years ago, before mum had a stroke, that there was a similar discussion on the radio. My mum had felt incensed. She had rang up the radio station and demanded to speak. She said that she'd caught diptheria as a child during an epidemic in the late 1930's. She explained how every few days a new child would appear in the bed next to her, how a few days later they'd disappear. The matron would tell her that they were happy now as they were in heaven. My mother was in an isolation hospital for 6 months recovering. Most who caught the disease didn't.

My mother went on to say that the reason that people who didn't have their children vaccinated could do it in relative safety was because most people did. As such they were selfish and dangerous. You see if no one vaccinated, we'd soon be back to the days of epidemics. I ask you this, how many people have died of smallpox in the history of the human race? How many have died in the last 10 years? Why is this?

I tend to agree with my mother's view that parents should not have a choice. Their selfishness puts others, such as children too young to be immunised at risk. If we are to allow a choice and if there is an epidemic of preventable diseases and children die who have not been immunised, I'd charge the parents with manslaughter.

No comments: