As we commence work on the sequel to A Tale of Two Barnets, here's a list of a few famous people with links to The London Borough of Barnet. It is not exhaustive, feel free to add anyone you think warrants a mention.
1. Charles Dickens - the workhouse in Oliver Twist was based on Barnet workhouse
2. Simon Le Bon - Used to live in Hendon
3. Lee Thompson - the flying sax player from the band Madness, lives in Barnet
4. Patrick McGoohan - lived in Mill Hill in his 1960's hayday
5. Amy Winehouse - Local girl, regularly rehearsed at Mill Hill Music Complex
6. Paul Gascoigne - used to train at Chase Lodge training fields with Spurs
7. James O'Shea - Paralympic Swimmer is a member of Barnet Copthall Swimming club
8. David Bedford - member of Shaftesbury Harriers atheletic club
9. Ken Loach - Award winning film director appeared in A Tale of Two Barnets
10. William Wilberforce - Built St Pauls church on the Ridgeway
This list is not exhaustive. There are many other famous people but my criteria for choosing this list is that at least once, everyone on this list has made me extremely happy through their exceptional talents and brought a ray of sunshine into my life.