Monday 3 September 2012

The Official One Barnet Anthem

On a swampy Barnet  evening, as summer dies and a harsh winter sets in, The Barnet Eye has officially declared the winner of the competition for a One Barnet Official Anthem.  There were many candidates, but only one song truly sums up the awful project. The winner is Death Sound Blues by Country Joe and the Fish.

Sadly, I suspect that this song will prove all too true for the careers of all those who are blindly,deeply and madly in love with this bonkers project. It is strange because every time I see Nick Walkley, his demeanour bcomes more and more like an undertaker. I think this song suits him rather well.

Here's a live version from '68


Here's the lyrics

Death Sound Blues 
by Country Joe and the Fish

I hear that death sound, baby,
Oh, like an echo in my brain.
I hear that death sound, baby,
Oh, like an echo in my brain, brain.
Well, there's a part of us dying,
You know that things will never be the same,
Ah, never be the same!
I feel the black nails a-poundin' now,
Yes, into the coffin of our love.
Hear the black nails a-poundin' now,
Yes, into the coffin of our love.
Well, like a black shrouded hunter now,
Don't you know that I have killed a snow white dove,
Oh, I've killed the dove.

Well, the time sands keep a-fallin' now
On towards our ending day.
Yeah, the time sands keep a-fallin'
Towards our ending day.
I see the minutes chasing the hours,
Yes, to the words that we should say,
Ah — we should say.

No comments: