Thursday 16 April 2015

Tax - No one likes it until they need public services

Yesterday, out of frustration at comments on my Facebook timeline I posted the following comment

Next time someone says they pay too much tax, drive them out into the middle of the countryside, break both their legs with a baseball bat, then ask them if they would like an ambulance to take them to A&E. If they say yes, ask them if they still think paying tax for such services is bad.
Actually please dont do that, but maybe you could explain the scenario to them. Tax is always a rip off until we are in the shit and need public services.

I received the followin two responses.

 Here in USA: After I crashed into a wall, having been run off the road by someone who did not stop: Emergency ambulance from I95 to nearest trauma cente(5 miles) - $500, 5 hours in emergency room: &30,000.00. Paid days off work, using accrued paid time off- 2. Prescription meds each month, spouse and myself about $300. Next time you moan about the National Health, count your blessings.
 And

Well said. I have had a kidney transplant here which would have bankrupted me in the States and yet we are blindly following America down the road of an unadulterated market economy. I object to some of the things my taxes go towards but I want to live in a society where everyone can receive the help they need. We just have to accept that some people don't want to contribute.

What could I possibly add to that?

No comments: