Wednesday 17 February 2010

A manifesto for small business

A few interesting facts

84% of new jobs created between 2002-2007 were created by small businesses
53% of small businesses have introduced new products in the last 12 months
Over 50% of turnover small businesses goes straight back into the local economy
Seven pubs close every day and 24,000 people have lost their jobs due to pub closures in the last year
Local authorities made £1.6 billion from parking charges in 2005, Barnet made more than any other Borough last year
13.5 million people work in small firms
Small firms contribute more than 50% of the UK turnover

I spent the afternoon at the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) offices in a meeting helping to draw up the FSB's manifesto for the forthcoming elections. I've been a member of the FSB for a few years as I think that small business needs a voice. Now I'm just an ordinary member of the organisation and the meeting was open to any interested business. The FSB is not politically aligned. It's job is to make the voices of the diverse world of small business heard.

At the meeting yesterday there was a rather diverse group. Podiatrists, advertising agencies,  It firms, music studios,etc. Strangely enough, all of the people present had rather similar views and issues on the problems we face. As you know, in Mill Hill we've been pushing for free parking for one hour in the town centre. I raised this and guess what? Everyone agreed. Other Boroughs have different schemes, but parking is a huge issue. It affects, customers, deliveries and business owners.

The other issues which came up were the problems with Banks and the problems with bureaucracy.It seems that not a week goes by without more legislation, more rules and more costs imposed by the government. Another general gripe was the way local authorities make it virtually impossible for small local businesses to tender for contracts. Given that small firms are more likely to employ local workers, it seems obvious to me that every effort should be made to encourage local business to bid.

In my experiences with Barnet Council, there is no understanding whatsoever of the small business sector. This is why I am supportive of the Leader Listens business breakfasts, which at least starts a dialog. I was a little disappointed with the response from Barnet Council when I contacted them to let them know I was attending the meeting. I guess that there excuse will be that they will claim that they thought I was just fishing for reasons to bash Barnet Council on this blog. Sadly they never seem to see the bigger picture. There is nothing I'd like more than to say that Barnet Council is the most business friendly Local Authority in the Country. I doubt that will happen until there is a strong group of Councillors who have experience of successfully running local businesses and whoa re prepared to work across party lines to improve the Council.

I have a question for Deputy Leader of Barnet Council, Councillor Andrew Harper, who hosted the business breakfast. You heard my contribution to the meeting. Presumably you've read the blog I wrote about it. Presumably you've read this blog. Do you think it would be  a good or a bad thing if Barnet Council was recognised by the FSB as being the most business friendly borough in the country? Sadly, I have to report that this is not the current perception.

Anyway, I've said my piece, here's what I'd like to see happen.

- As many small business owners in Barnet join the FSB, so that we can effectively lobby the Council
- Barnet Council invite the Federation of Small Businesses to address a Leader Listens Session
- Barnet Council Officers and Councillors read the FSB manifesto for business
- All candidates for Council and Parliament publish their CV and so we can see their successess and failures in the world of business and their careers. Who employs anyone without reading their CV.

Please Note : This blog is my personal opinion and is not necessarily the official position of the FSB.

No comments: