Saturday 6 November 2010

Dismore to face Coleman for GLA Barnet / Camden seat ?

Expect an announcement shortly that former Hendon MP Andrew Dismore will be facing Brian Coleman for the GLA seat in Barnet/Camden. This promises to be an interesting fight. Whilst Coleman claims to "work 100 hours a week", Dismore is well known for his hard work, pounding the streets.

Dismore has increasingly been seen at the various rallys against cuts, etc, getting back into the groove. Over the past few GLA elections, Labour has not exactly put up candidates against Coleman who have tried very hard. Whatever you may think about Dismore, I suspect  Mr Coleman may find himself having a rather more difficult fight. A few people have asked me if, as I'm a Lib Dem I'd fancy putting my hat into the ring against Coleman. As I think Coleman is a complete disgrace, nothing would give me greater pleasure. I think that would make a rather interesting and explosive mix on the stump, don't you?

6 comments:

Mrs Angry said...

Yes,there have been rumours Dismore was going to stand, and I hope he does. He was a hard working constituency MP, and conscientious. A rare thing, as we know. I am sure that he would see his role as GLA member as a service to constituents rather than an excuse for self indulgence, which would be rather nice, wouldn't it?
I wouldn't bother thinking about standing as a Libdem anywhere in the near future as I really cannot imagine anyone ever trusting them again: there is going to be a massive backlash from voters. Are you really prepared to defend, as you would have to, their record in the Coalition Government, the betrayal of promises on issues such as tuition fees etc?

baarnett said...

Will Brian get reselected for the candidature by the Conservative Party, anyway?

And can anyone say: Is the GLA geographical seat election held under alternative vote? That is, does a geo. candidate need to get at least 50% of the votes cast, whether first or second choice, and so on?

Rog T said...

Mrs Angry,
I would no more seek to defend the policy on tuition fees than Ken Livingstone or Robin Cook would defend the Iraq war.

I disagree with some of what the Lib Dems are doing in coalition, but I disagreed even more with launching illegal wars. Don't forget that Labour were in power for 13 years and they were responsible for the Browne review and for the concept of tuition fees.

FYI - The local Labour party didn't process my resignation from the party and so have now banned me from membership for 5 years for standing as a Lib Dem candidate in the May elections. Even if I wanted to rejoin Labour, which I don't, the option isn't open to me.

Mrs Angry said...

baarnett: I've heard Coleman will not be reselected, oh what a shame that would be ... if he is, that would be a major mistake for the Tories.
Rog: I think you should stand as an independent!

Moaneybat said...

Dismore! Is the principled master of spin still here? Wondering what colour fence he'll be looking for this time.

north west londoner said...

The Labour selection process is yet to start. Surprise surprise Andrew is not the only person who will be seeking the Barnet - Camden nomination.
Questions for Andrew and his supporters to ponder
Is this a ploy by Andrew to keep himself occupied whilst he understandably seeks to win back Hendon and again be its MP?
Does he really want to be a member of the London Assembly?