Saturday 21 July 2012

The Saturday List #7 - Ten reasons why I write this blog


Today is the day that Jolly Roger exposes himself to the public of Barnet. No not in that way, I'm not wearing a dirty mac to the BAPS torch procession rally with nothing on under it !

Have you ever wondered why I write the Barnet Eye. There are ten reasons, they may shock you. Here they are


1. Because my psychiatrist tells me that it is good to express my anger in a positive manner.

2. Because it's a great way to meet girls

3. Because I'm an egomaniac

4. Because I have nothing better to do with my time

5. Because I'm ultra left Trotskyite nutter who loves spouting bollocks

6. Because I'm a fantasist who lives at home with my mother and I don't have a life

7. Because I'm jealous of all the councillors and no one likes me

8. Because I'm a desperate attention seeker

9. Because the trades Unions pay me large amounts of money to do it

10. Because I'm a failed musician and it's the only way anyone will take any notice of me
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this list surprise you? Well it surprises me in some ways, but these are some of the things that I've been accused of as being my motivation over the last four years of blogging. I expect that as things hot up with One Barnet and the council get ever more edgy, I'll get a good few more porkies chucked around.

For the record, my reposte to them is as follows


1. Because my psychiatrist tells me that it is good to express my anger in a positive manner.
Actually I don't have a shrink (although maybe I should). I do get angry about the impact council policies have on vulnerable people in Barnet and I think that the One Barnet program will be a costly waste of time that will ultimately deliver worse services for the people of Barnet. I don't write the blog to express my anger though, I write it to try and prevent bad things from happening.

2. Because it's a great way to meet girls
(I'm actually married and blogging really isn't a great way to pull) It is true that I've met some lovely women through writing the blog. I've also met some lovely men. In fact some of the people I've met through the blog are people I would never have met otherwise and I'm often humbled by the actions they take and the selfless sacrifices they make. People such as Linda Evans and John Sullivan who devote their lives to caring for their adult children with learning difficulties. Meeting them has enhanced my life. So yes this accusation is possibly true, but not in the way it was meant.

3. Because I'm an egomaniac
I'll have to let you be the judge of that one

4. Because I have nothing better to do with my time
I run a successful music business, I work as a volunteer for a charity and I have three children at home, so actually I have plenty of other things to do. I write the blog because I think the issues I cover are important and before I started blogging no one was talking about them (it is true that there are now four other great Barnet bloggers).

5. Because I'm ultra left Trotskyite nutter who loves spouting bollocks
I actually stood as a Lib Dem candidate at the last Council election, I didn't realise they were a hotbed of Trots. As to talking bollocks, you'll have to judge that for yourself. If you were to ask me if I thought there were any Trotskyite's in Barnet I'd suggest that the actions of the CEO of Barnet Council and his team may be. They have wrecked the credibility of the Tory administration and I believe they will wreck the credibility of public sector outsourcing with the ill thought out and badly implemented One Barnet Program.

6. Because I'm a fantasist who lives at home with my mother and I don't have a life
I wish I did live with my mum at times as I miss her dreadfully since she died, but sadly I moved out from home over 30 years ago, although she did stay with me in 1987 for a few months when my Dad died. This charge was quite insulting on another level. I know a few people who do live with elderly parents, because they act as carers for them. To use this as a sly insult was actually quite repulsive. I find it interesting that people make lies up about me. What does that say?

7. Because I'm jealous of all the councillors and no one likes me
I'm not at all jealous of them. Watching Jack Cohen speak common sense and get completely ignored, I am quite grateful I was spared that fate. I often wonder what I'd have done, had I succeeded in getting elected as a Lib Dem Councillor. I am no longer a party member as a result of the coalition. I think I would do what Jack Cohen does and have tried to be as effective as possible. I would also probably have remained a member until 2014, out of respect to the hard working local activists who campaigned for me. I would never insult any of them. As to no one liking me, again you be the judge of that.

8. Because I'm a desperate attention seeker
I'll have to let you be the judge of that one. I don't see too many pictures of myself on the blog waving my willy around though.

9. Because the trades Unions pay me large amounts of money to do it
I've never actually belong to a Trades Union. They have their own blogs etc and they give that sort of work to their members (I suppose). It is odd that some people can't understand that I do this because I feel strongly about the issues. It has also been said that I don't write much of the content and it is written for me by "the Unions". This is complete bollocks. If any trades unionist wants to write a blog they are welcome. It will have the words "guest blog" in the title. The same offer is open to anyone else. I'd love to see guest blogs from Tory Councillors. My business is doing pretty well. Recently a BNP sympathiser started posting comments on the Times website stating that he'd downloaded my company accounts and I'm "No Richard Branson". Well, no shit Sherlock, but I easily earn enough to live the lifestyle I want, feed my kids and enjoy myself. I also run a business which brings a lot of happiness to hundreds of local musicians every week. That is more than enough for me.

10. Because I'm a failed musician and it's the only way anyone will take any notice of me

I guess people say things like this because they think it may upset me. I'm a punk rock musician who loves what I do musically and never started playing to make money. I think I've got a great band and I'm proud of my achievements musically. I don't care whether anyone takes any notice of me or not. I do however rather hope they take notice of the issues I raise here. I should say that music is my first love. Sadly the time spent writing this blog has severely impacted the time I spend on it. I do resent that.


If there are any BNP members, Tory Councillors (or backroom staff) or Barnet Council officers out there who have any more reasons, please email them to me or leave a comment. I quite enjoy reading them.

No comments: