Monday 2 September 2024

The Tweets of the Week in the London Borough of Barnet - Revisited

 For around ten years, I used to do a feature every Sunday called The Tweets of the Week in the London Borough of Barnet. When it started, it was extremely popular, thousands of views every week and I connected with a whole bunch of wonderful people, some of whom I now consider friends. I did a set sequence of searches as well as keeping a note of any good tweets throughout the week. When Elon Musk took over twitter, the number of interesting factual tweets and great pictures dropped. It got to the point where I couldn't find enough interesting content to fill the slot. Elon Musk also limited the number of results that you got, meaning searches revealed nothing. Once I realised what was going on, I decided that it wasn't worth promoting his platform.

In the week, I had a chat with one of my former regulars, Mark Amies. I mentioned that I rarely look at Twitter now, there is little of interest. After our chat, I thought I'd have a look. Was there anything worth Posting?  The searches I used to do were all related to neighbourhoods in Barnet. I'd search Mill Hill, Edgware, Burnt Oak, Finchley, Golders Green Brent Cross, Colindale, Hendon and Cricklewood. 

So lets see -

  Mill Hill - A nice thread of posts from the Mill Hill Hostorical Society. 



Edgware - This would definitely be featured, Mark Amie still chasing the demise of the Railway pub in Edgware. Sadly Labour replacing the Tories in Barnet has made no difference at all

Barnet - Nice!

Burnt Oak - A notable anniversay a couple of weeks ago, a great tweet

Finchley - This is right up my street, I'll watch this later!

Golders Green - Just the type of stuff that I started using Twitter to see.

Brent Cross - The only search that threw up nothing of much interest to me


Colindale - Sadly the Colindale Folk club is no longer in Colindale, but it's still in the Borough of Barnet


Hendon - Congratulations to Hendon on progressing to the next round of the FA cup. Cricklewood - I didn't know Phil Lynott had a flat in Cricklewood, fine tweeting here. Also loved the Caty Delmot tweet.


So there you go. It seems that there is life on Twitter still and some good stuff out there. Was I too hasty? I will monitor for a couple of weeks.

-------------------------------

If you like my writing, please spend a minute to check out my music!




No comments: