Sunday 15 September 2024

The Sunday Reflection #23 - God gave Rock and Roll to you

I awake this morning with a fuzzy head. Last night, my band, The False Dots did a special free show for our fans at Mill Hill Music Complex. We invited Al Pascal's rcok school along to play with us. Five bands/ solo artists appeared. As most gigs these days are at pubs, there are really limited opportunities for younger musicians to play. So we thought a showcase gig would be great experience. The studio shuts on a Saturday at 6pm. The concept is simple, after the studio's commercial operations cease, we open the doors and let bands play in our lovely studio reception area. We are planning to do it monthly. There is no charge to come and if people want a drink, they bring there own. It is a chance to play and hone your talents. 

About 80 people turned up for the various artists, many were family. I think all had a great night. We ended with my band, The False Dots. 




The whole place got up for a boogie at the end. Afterwards, had a chat with a few of the punters who turned up. They loved the concept of the evening. One of my big bugbears is that there is nothing to do for teenagers in Barnet. There are so many talented young people making music, but apart from the odd gig at schools and local festivals, there is nowhere for them to go and hang out. A couple of people said "why don't you get an alcohol licence and make it a regular thing?". We could but then we'd not really be able to do it in the same way. The UK really needs to think the way we provide activities for teenagers. Parents moan that all they ever do is stare at their phone. Is it any wonder when there is nowhere for them to go. At this time of year, when it is warm, you get a few lurking around in parks etc, but that is the extent of the council's provision. 

I'm a big advocate of Rock and Roll music. I've been organising gigs since I was eighteen years old in 1980. There was nowhere to play for us, when the False Dots started, So we booked The Harwood Hall in Mill Hill, invited our mates bands along and put on a gig. It was a roaring success, so we've been doing it ever since. What is really great for me, is the divesity of people coming along these days. I was chatting to a few after and I explained my theory of how life is enganced by music. Unlike sport, religion and just about everything else, no one is right, no one is wrong, there are no winners and no losers. If you don't like an artist or genre, just listen to someone else. If you like it, get grooving. One of the young people, who'd been having a boogie said "I don't normally dance". I asked why? He said "It's not my thing?". I said "You seemed to be enjoying yourself tonight". I then explained that as far as I was concerned, if you enjoy something, do it. Don't worry if someone is better, someone looks cooler or you 'have two left feet'. Let the music guide you. Back in 1973, a band called Argent released a song called  "God gave rock and roll to you". It has one of the best choruses of any rock song, with a great guitar riff. Listening to it now, its a bit too prog rock for my tastes, but the chorus is magnificent. 

It used to be said that Rock and Roll was the music of the devil, but the opposite is true. It is the soundtrack to our lives. Often when rock songs are criticised for being rude, lewd, disrespectful or disgusting, the people who are most offended are the people who most deserve to be offended. My Dad once explained to me that it is always worth understanding the difference between smut (a word we don't hear often these days) and vulgarity. Things that are smutty are theings like Carry on films, Ian Dury Lyrics etc. They are not vulgar, even the start of Plaistow Patricia to me is not vulgar. It is designed to shock and get your attention, buried in there is a serious message "Keep your eyeballs white and keep your needle clean" The message is often overlooked. Dury was a masterful lyricist, there is always something in there that surprises you. If I've learned anything, it is not to jump to quick conclusions. If people act badly, there is usually a reason. This is an observation, not a justification. However if we want to fix our broken society, we need to take a good, long look at the reasons it is broken. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution. I happen to believe that getting young people into music, giving them safe places to express themselves and appreciate what they do is a big part of the solution and in a sane world, Rock and Roll is a big part of that. 

All I can really say is that if I'd not got into music, things would have been very different in my life. 

Here's a small snippet from our show

No comments: