Sunday 1 March 2009

Barnet's got talent !!!!! The Barnet Beat weekend



As some of my readers may know, I run a music rehearsal and recording studio in Mill Hill. Barnet Youth services organised the "Barnet Beat Weekend" this weekend. We were pleased to take part and we staged an open day, with various activities taking places for free at the studios. Amongst the main activities, we had Sound Skool doing a DJ skills workshop, Rock United doing one of their Rock School's and Drumsense showing off their program.

For the Sound Skool sessions, teenagers came down and were able to try Beat matching, Scratching and drop mixing. For Rock United, musicians came down, were schooled in the art of playing in a band and finished off recording a song. Drumsense explained the various programs they have on offer. We had over 50 teenagers turn up for the various activities during the day. They all seemed to enjoy the activities and it was great to see so many young people engaged in positive activities.

The program was organised by Barnet Youth Services, although we put our own program together. Lloyd Gee who organises Barnet Youth Services came down to check out the activities at the studio and told me what was going on elsewhere in the Borough.

I would say that generally Education and Youth services are one area Barnet does pretty well. The Beat Weekend had all sorts of activities at a whole host of venues. I don't know what arrangements other providers had with Barnet, but we funded all of our activities ourselves, so we weren't "being subsides" at all. I would like to see a far greater emphasis on sports and arts for young people. One of the reasons I run my business is specifically to encourage young people to participate in useful activities. I was explaining to Lloyd that many of the facilities we provide for young people we run at a loss (these being partially subsidised by other activities at the studio). In the long run I believe that these pay off as once young people become engaged with music, they stay with it and as they can afford to use other services.

I'm in a lucky position that it's my own business and I can make the rules. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing how young people can develop and flourish, when given the opportunity. Two of our customers have developed their careers at our studio and gone on to huge international acclaim. Both Kate Nash and Amy Winehouse used our facilities before they had deals. One of the best feelings was seeing Amy Winehouse on Top of the Pops for the first time, playing a guitar she'd bought from our shop the week before. Kate still uses our facilities and I think she enjoys the down to earth atmosphere we provide.

We've got a couple of other up and coming artists at the moment who I fully expect to be talked about in the same breath as Amy and Kate in a few years time. Maybe a few of the people who took part in the Barnet Beat weekend will get a taste for music or find a previously hidden talent. I sincerely hope so.

No comments: