Monday 20 July 2009

Lesbian Role Models

A friend of mine confided in me recently that one of the things which really disturbed her was the lack of really strong Lesbian role models during her formative years. Being a punk and a really strong character, she said that she really identified with Patti Smith, above just about all of the other artists and the first time she heard Patti Smith's Gloria, was the first time she really understood herself.


The trouble is that Patti isn't a Lesbian, she was in a loving relationship with Fred Smith for decades. Sure there are all sorts of people she admires, but there isn't a Lesbian Martin Luther King or even a Patti Smith. She likes Beth Ditto, for instance but that isn't quite the same thing. I said that we're all members of the human family so it really doesn't matter. Her response? It matters greatly to her.

The conversation really prayed on my mind. Not because I need a Lesbian role model to look up to, but because I started to think "Who are my role models?". I grew up in the 1960's and 70's. By the time I was a teenager, the Stranglers were top of the charts with "No More Heroes". I didn't want heroes. I didn't want role models.



It was probably a generational thing, but I had bitter arguements with my Dad who was an RAF bomber pilot about the rights and wrongs of area bombing. His view was that his comrades were heroes. I'd never question their bravery, but I've always hoped that if I was asked to drop a bomb on Dresden, I'd have said no. I'm not a coward and I'd have happily dropped a bomb on a military target or even Hitler's holiday home. Can you be a hero if you are doing something that is fundamentally wrong?

In terms of sportsmen, probably the closest thing to a hero for me is Mohammed Ali. Just to get into a ring takes balls of steel. To challenge the establishment, go to jail as a conscienscous objector and still be the greatest boxer the planet has ever seen sets Ali apart. In our house, we'd always watch his fights. My Dad boxed in the Australian army, before joining the RAAF and he appreciated the way Ali fought. I can't think of another sportsman with the stature of Ali. Watching some old footage of him in his prime reminded me of what a giant among men he is. Now if I applied my friends criteria to Ali, he couldn't be my role model. I'm a White Roman Catholic, he's a Black Muslim. The thing is though, that he has strength, courage and faith.

I saw Ali, years ago on a documentary talking to some black kids in a ghetto. He said the following words (or words to this effect) and they've always stuck with me.

"You look up to me and see me as a role model. That means nothing if you lie, cheat and steal. I'm only a role model if you all go out and become role models as well".

I think that a real role model transcends, race, gender, religion and class.

No comments: