Thursday 30 July 2009

Happy belated birthday to me !!!!!



Would you believe it. It was my birthday and I never even noticed. Not my real birthday, but the birthday of my blogging career was on 23rd June. It feels like I've been doing this forever, but the "Rog T" blog is actually only just over 1 year old. Contrary to what many Barnet Councillors seem to think, I didn't really do it to write about Council policies, it just worked out that way. I thought I'd give you all a little potted history of how it all happened.

23rd June - Started the blog on the Times series with a blog about the dangers of using systemic weed killers in the commercial farming of Skunk Weed.

8th July - Got my first telling off from the Times for slagging off Mike Freer (who at the time also wrote a blog on the Times. Here's a short extract from the telling off.

In short, criticism of council policies is fine, but personal criticism of other bloggers is not, because your blog (rather than your comments under stories) is seen as sanctioned by us. I’d be happy to discuss this further with you — or if you want guidance on a particular blog you have planned, please let me know. I hope you understand that we need these kind of guidelines to keep our blogging community engaging and issue-based.

9th October - Following a dispute with the then editor of the Times, my blog disappeared and I started my new blog "The Barnet Eye" on Blogspot, free of rules.


15th November - Barnet Eye publishes the Brian Coleman Free Dinner Register. This has been the most popular blog on this site. There are over 130 links to this entry and I've had over 50,000 hits on this page.

16th February 2009 - Barnet Eye publishes Boris Johnson Guide to Drugs. This is my favourite blog.

21st February 2009 - Barnet Eye publishes Tuesday is Brian Coleman day. I've been reliably informed that of all of the things I've said about our esteemed Mayor, this is the blog he loathes and detests most. I was quite surprised when I heard this as I thought that a seasoned politician such as good old Brian would be immune to such a childish bit of winding up. I actually posted this when I got home from a heavy session at the pub and had forgotten about it when I was told of his loathing for it. It displays the dangers of alcohol. I'd never have published it if I'd been sober. Many apologies for all the heartache and pain it has caused you, Councillor Coleman. I'd hoped you had a better sense of humour. Having just reread it again, you have to admit it is quite funny.


8th March 2009 - Barnet Eye publishes 5 songs that make me miserable. This is the blog that gets the most google search hits.

13th May 2009 - Barnet Eye publishes Barnet Tory Bugle Update - Spot the Difference. I actually believe this blog is the most important blog I've ever written, certainly the most influential. This blog was criticising what I percieved to be a pro Tory bias in the Edgware Times. Dave Hill at the Guardian picked this up and linked to it. The result was amazing, they've completely changed their tack with the Council. I'm proud of them now !

2nd July - Barnet Eye publishes Manchester United Supporters. Of all of the blogs I've written, this was the most unreasonable, nasty and horrible, which is why I love it. Sadly it doesn't seem to have upset nearly enough people.

Sat 4th July - Barnet Eye posts Hurt Me. I always like to publish a Youtube clip link on a Saturday Night. I sort of hope it makes someone somewhere happy. This is my favourite YouTube clip so far.

I hope that if you've followed Barnet Eye, you've got something positive from the blog. I really can't believe I've only been blogging for a year. I think that the best thing is that as a result of reading my blog, it seems a few others have started their own blogs in Barnet, most notably Don't call me Dave and VickiM57. Perhaps the most satisfying moment this year was when Brian Coleman announced during his mayoral inauguration that he was going to take on the bloggers! I suppose that's a tacit admission that in less then a year (as it was then), we'd changed the political landscape of Barnet.


Oh and lastly, the picture at the top is probably my fave music Piccie and the one just below is my fave political piccie from the last year

1 comment:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Happy Birthday Barnet Eye!

It is quite clear that blogging has changed the political landscape - from Guido Fawkes who exposed the Damien McBride scandal to blogs like yours which expose the deficiencies of elected authorities at a local level.

Everything politicians say and do can now be instantly analysed in minute detail by a world wide audience. Unfortunately, there are still a few dinosaurs who cannot abide the great unwashed expressing their opinions. They think they should be allowed to rule their fiefdoms with impunity.

More power to your keyboard Rog!