Today I start a brand new series on the blog. I've named it the Death Sound Blue blog, in honour of Country Joe McDonald. The topic will sort of be based on things that make me feel like death and how I am managing them out of my life! I'm not a trained medical professional so if this sparks any concerns, don't follow my advice, just go and see someone who knows what they are talking about!
I feel rough today. There is no particular reason. Well actually there are many. My knees hurt, my ankle hurts. Both my wrists hurt. I feel nauseous. I woke up and decided to stay in bed, as I am not working. My wife was irritated, believing I should get up at 7am every morning and run around like a blue arsed fly for no good reason. After 40 years together, I admire her optimism. I do everything I can to try and be healthy. I joined a gym and I go most days. That is why my knees and wrists are hurting. I irritated my wrists rowing and my knees on the cycle machine. But in truth I feel like this most mornings. I usually feel nauseous until I eat. Of course there are days when I drink too much, but TBH I feel the same most mornings until I eat.
Last year I had an MRI scan. It was primarily a follow up to my cancer surgery in 2023. The good news was that there was no evidence of cancer returning. The bad news? Well they told me I had gallstones. The Doctor asked me if I'd had any symptoms of Gallstones. As I didn't know what the symptoms were, I said no. I was an idiot, I should have asked. Apparently early morning nausea is a common symptom of gall stones. You may ask why I suddenly have taken an interest in this condition, given that I found out last year? Well I did do a quick google of symptoms of gallstones, it said this was the major symptom of gallstones.
I didn't recognise these symptoms, but I clocked them. On Sunday, I went to the Ealing Blues Festival. I was really looking forward to it. I had nice burger and chips, from a van. The only problem was that it was really greasy and wasn't very nice. After about 30 minutes I started feeling as sick as a dog and got a massive pain under my right ribs. I felt really ill. I left before Misty in Roots played, which was why I went. As I made my way home, I started reading up on Gallstones. I realised that I regularly get most of the symptoms, when I eat greasy food. I'd just never really put two and two together.
What really shocked me, is that I've actually been admitted to A&E twice with acute symptoms, but mistakenly thought it was food poisoning on both occasions. The first time was over 30 years ago. I always eat healthy at home. I have kept a food log and eradicated all of the bad foods out. I became especially zealous after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. However, when I go out, I get the symptoms. I have usually put it down to too much boozing. However, it is now clear to me that the stark truth has been staring me in the face all this time.
When I go out, there are many things I love that we don't eat at home. Pork Belly, a decent burger and chips, a cheeseplate, the list goes on. The way gallstones work, the more grease you throw at it, the worse you feel. I did notice that if I eat a Penne Arrabiata when we go out, I don't suffer from what I thought was a hangover. Having read up, the reasons are far clearer now.
Since Sunday, I've not eaten anything that should trigger a problem and I've felt fine. I had two cans of beer at our rehearsal last night, but that is about it for the naughtiness. I've avoided cheese and fatty meats completely. I have a dilemma. I am going out with friends to Barcelona Tapas bar later.
I've been checking out the menu, trying to work out what I can have that isn't deep fried. I reckon it will be these
BROCHETA DE POLLO Marinated Chicken Mini Skewers
GAMBAS AL AJILLO Peeled tiger prawns cooked with garlic, chili & wine.
PIMIENTOS DEL PIQUILLO ASADOS Wood flamed red peppers cooked with garlic & AOVE
SAMFIANA Tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, courgettes & onions.
I think this should do me. I think I'll give the fried stuff that I love a miss.
If I am completely honest, I've always thought that the 'night sickness' and 'morning after' feeling was down to booze and not food. I've known for a long time that if I eat things like the Penne Arabbiata, I don't really get hangovers, even when I drink quite a lot. However before Sunday, I never really joined up the dots up on this.
One of the more interesting things is that I've spent a fortune over the years on massages, etc for a bad back. Now I find that fatty food and gallstones may be the cause. There are two questions I need to resolve. Should I avoid the fatty stuff completely or if I just have say one meal a week that is overly greasy but is something I enjoy, will it be tolerated. I will address that question with a food diary. The second question is a more difficult one to address. I am 64 this month. Over the last few years, one by one, all of the things I enjoy have started to slip away. I can no longer play football. My radical prostatectomy has not exactly done me any favours when it comes to the bedroom department, unless I take tablets. Now I find that most of my favourite foods make me feel really ill. Time is catching up with me and I am not ready for the consequences. It makes me feel rather down. I still have a band and I am enjoying it more than ever, it has filled some of the gap, but not all of it. The question is "at what point do you get so sick of it all that you just give up". I am nowhere near that point, quite the opposite but the question does bother me.
And finally, a little note to all of you. When a partner, friend, colleague is sick and you ascribe it to overdoing the booze, before you berate them, step back and consider that it may be something else. Maybe, like me, they have gallstones. I'd suggest that people in glass houses shouldn't throw Gallstones!
------
As you may have noticed, I said that my Band, The False Dots are one of the things that make life worth living. We are celebrating my 64th Birthday at the Dublin Castle on Sunday 23rd August from 2pm, why not come along. Click the image for ticket details

No comments:
Post a Comment