Thursday, 27 August 2026

Rock and Roll Stories #73 - What could possibly go wrong?

 So did you come to The Dublin Castle to see The False Dots on Sunday? It was the bands one hundred and thirty sixth gig of our career. Every single one has been an absolute adventure, with stories and memories generated. We've met other bands, great people, seen all manner of venues. We've played for Gangsters and Vicars, Royalty and Robbers! I like to think people come because they know they will have fun and it will be a bit of an event. It's not the Rolling Stones at Wembley, but it is a unique event and no two gigs are the same. We played 12 songs and we didn't even play the 12 we planned, as we got a mate we spotted in the audience to join us on one. We got a great response, and everyone had a boogie. After the gig, a few mates said it was the best one ever. Given that it was my birthday and so I

Rog with Tony Bugbear, Griff and
Michele with one 'L' after the gig

had been plied with drinks and forgot a couple of words here and there, or that Fil had equipment problems and his bass cut out a few times, it is, I guess a testament to what we do that people didn't seem to notice, or maybe they just enjoy the rock and roll chaos that seems to be part of what we do. I had an absolute ball. I cannot lie, I'm 64 and you use a lot of energy. I slept well!

Doing a gig is not just playing. We played for one hour, which was 12 songs, all originals. We played two songs for the first time, which seemed to go well. We had two rehearsals dedicated to just getting the set right and finalising the new numbers. Generally rehearsals last 2-3 hours, we time the actual set, to make sure we don't overrun. We also tweak songs that need it. I've no idea how much time we spend on promotion, but we do a lot of work on that. On the Sunday, we were playing at 5pm. The band arrived at noon to soundcheck. The pub wasn't even open. Matthew, the soundman arrived with us. It took Matthew 45 minutes to get everything ready for us. At 12.45, we did the soundcheck. We did the two new numbers, as Tom sang one and I sang the other. It was pretty smooth. Then Little Rock and Niall Logue did their soundchecks. For us, it was a long wait until 4pm. 

We always make a point of watching the other bands, chatting to our fans and friends. It was great to see so many new faces, many of whom have been listening to the new album. Several too great delight in quoting a line from the song "Chinese Nosh" at Graham 'Rambo' Ramsey, our drummer. It starts with "Pass the Soy Sauce Rambo" and Gray was quite disconcerted by the number of strangers walking up to him and saying it. 

Every artist writes songs for different reasons. We go through different stages. These days, I write songs to put a smile on peoples face and perhaps trigger a few memories. Graham said he played the song to the owner of his local chinese takeaway, who loved it! I am always fascinated by the people everyone else ignores. I always try and chat to the people who run local cafe's and restaurants, many have become friends. If I can immortalise them in song, even better. 

People seem to get it. The new album has had well over 1,000 streams on Spotify, Not enough for us to retire, but we've only promoted it on line and at gigs, so that is actually pretty good. We won't retire on the proceeds, but people seem to love it when they hear it.

The gig was the official launch of the album, as well as my birthday party. After we played, I had a few more beers with friends, etc. Everyone was in a brilliant mood. The Promoter, Tony Gleed at Bugbear gave me a box of home grown tomatoes as a present, which was lovely and they were delicious. When we were done, we nipped down to Goodfare Italian, for some pasta and a bottle of wine. All very civilised.. I was tucked up in bed by 10pm. It was a great day. Thanks to everyone who made it special.



No comments: