Saturday 18 October 2008

Liars Beware !!!!!!!

It's saturday evening and I'm doing what I always do on a Saturday evening. I've just put on a nice relaxing record and poured myself a cool beer. What's spinning on the tuntable tonight. Well I thought I'd spin "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell from 1977. I've had it up to here writing about Barnet Council this week, so I thought I'd share one of my other passions with you. Punk rock !!!!

Anyway I've just been listening to my favourite track on the album - "Liars Beware". I can't possibly think why after the week we've just had, but the lyrics summed my mood up precisely. Nothing like a bit of vintage punk rock to make you unwind. In my opinion Richard Hell was one of the great lyricists of the age. Blank Generation was the riposte to "My Generation by "The Who". Richard is also credited with being the man who invented Punk Rock. Anyway, if you've never heard of Richard Hell and the Voidoids, check it out.


Liars Beware - Copyright Richard Hell & the Voidoids - 1977

Look out liars and you highlife scum
who gotta keep your victims poor and dumb--
Your motives and your methods are not disguised
by your silk, soap, sex, or your smiling lies.

Look out here
you pompous jerk
Look out here
I go berserk

Well I guess you put me in my place
but I won't forget your stupid face

They gave you power cuz they knew your needs--
soprano boys get talent when you shoot your seeds.
Well you laugh to hear what your best friends say--
Old man they laugh when you walk away.

Look out chief
ridiculous creep
Look out thief
you'll lose your teeth

Well you got power, now there's competition
and your blind side's turned to the boys with a mission.

----------

I missed off the last bit as it's a bit too fruity for a nice family page such as this

I hope whatever you're spinning on your turntable, listening to on your IPod, watching on the telly or pouring in your glass, you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying this classic album. Next track - Betrayal takes two.

Have a lovely evening.

No comments: