Wednesday 18 May 2011

I simply cannot believe the behaviour of senior Barnet Tories

Firstly, I have to say something about the public statement from Lynne Hillan. I've lost several of my closest friends and family to cancer. My best friend and business partner, Ernie Ferebee died of cancer in 2001 aged just 52. My wifes mum, Margaret Harrison died of lung cancer two years ago, who I dearly loved. There are many other people, but these two hit me hardest. When I read Lynne Hillans announcement, it brought these emotions back. Although I disagree with many of her policies, of all the things I hate on planet earth, I hate Cancer the most. It is a vicious and evil thief and I loath and detest it. That is why all I can feel about the news of Lynne Hillan is deep (and if I'm honest unexpected) grief. I feel desperately sorry for her and her family. Whatever I think of her, she was the democratically elected leader of Barnet Council. Unlike her predecessor, Mike Freer, she won an election as council leader and also increased her majority.  No one can argue with that. In fact I have a grudging respect for her, for fighting the campaign whilst suffering from the illness. I admire spirit and guts, and she clearly has those by the bucketload. My headline does not refer to her.

It refers to her colleagues. Nick Walkley had hardly finished reading her statement when Brian Coleman and Andrew Harper made speeches, clearly written in anticipation of the announcement, staking out the ground for leadership bids and trying to stitch up their rivals. In a decent world, that alone would disqualify them from standing for the job, but we don't live in a decent world. In the world of Barnet Council, careers are built on other peoples misfortune, and every unfortunate turn of events is an opportunity to be exploited.

On a purely personal level, I find this repugnant. That is all I really want to say about Barnet politics right now.

4 comments:

APML said...

A bunch of Hyenas,a fxxxxxg digrace,Harper,Coleman,ect,not a brain cell between them Whoever it maybe.!!

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Politicians used to be selfless. Now they are just selfish, and nowhere is this more so than in Barnet. Remember how Brian Salinger was ruthlessly dispatched having just won an election?

The simple truth is that Nick Walkley runs the council - not these Muppets - and there is no urgency to hold a leadership contest. It really won’t make the slightest difference to anything if a new leader is not selected for several months.

APML said...

Rog
may i bring to your attention on your heading. Barnet "Tories"...

Rog, they are not Tories,half of them would not be able to spell the word let-alone be one.They are just there to make easy bucks of the backs of barnet residents,and not really making a good job at that,or are they i ask myself !.

I wonder how many of them actually know when the Conservative party was formed,and who was the first Conservative priminister .!!!

APML said...

I,m sure that Wikipedia will be a busy place tonight from a bunch of un-educated Baboons ...