Saturday 26 January 2019

The Saturday List #205 - Ten unexpectedly wonderful London Experiences

This morning I joined local industrial historian Mark Amies of Robert Elms show fame for a tour of Cricklewood Railway Depot and Signal box courtesy of Robin Morel of Network Rail. It was absolutely fascinating. I will be making a video so that anyone who is interested in our local industrial history,  or wants to know how the area will be reshaped by the forthcoming Brent Cross Development will find this to be a really interesting trip.

I had expected it to be interesting, but Robin is a great host and I was completely fascinated. I've been busy writing my memoirs, so I hadn't planned a list for this week. However, as I made my way back I thought, when was the last time I had a day out to somewhere really unlikely that was also really enjoyable.

1. Cricklewood Railway Depot tour with Robin Morel of Network Rail.
You'll have to wait for the video!

2. Visit to the Roundhouse to record a slot for the 50th Anniversary radio show.
I was invited to the Roundhouse to record a slot for a radio show, with the former head of security. We dicussed the heady days of the 1970's and got a little tour. It was amazing. They chose me as I wrote a piece for their 50th anniversary site.

3. Fullers Brewery Tour.
I was gutted to hear that Fullers are selling their breweries. A few years ago, I did a brewery tour with friends. It was wonderful. It was emphasised that the brewery was steeped in London history. To hear that the brewery has been sold by Fullers is something that makes me very sad indeed. It is well worth doing the tour whilst you still can.

4. BACS Ltd Open Day.
I used to work in the IT department of BACS back in the late 1980's. We never got to see anything more than our desks as there was massive security on site. It was based at the top of Mollison Way in Burnt Oak and old aircraft hanger. Once a year, the staff were given a tour of the whole operation. When I did this I was amazed at the scale of the operation. It was totally fascinating.

5. RAF Day at Hendon RAF museum.
I was most honoured to be asked by former Barnet Mayor Hugh Rayner to be his guest at this years RAF day celebrations. I've always loved the museum, my Dad was an RAF bomber pilot, but I was especially thrilled to be entertained by the wonderful Jive Aces, who did a live show under the wing of a Sunderland flying boat. Amazing.

6. Tour of the House of Commons with Andrew Dismore.
Back in 2000 I was a Labour Party member. The then MP Andrew Dismore invited me for a tour, with other Labour activists. It was fascinating. I'd urge anyone who loves history to do this, should you ever get the chance. I especially liked the cupboard were one of the Pankhursts spent the night, so they could register their address on the census as The Houses of Parliament.

7. Sitting at The top of Metropolis House in the sun.
I've always enjoyed the thrill of being naughty and going places I'm not supposed to be. I used to work for a company that rented offices in Metropolis House, a twelve story building on Percy St, just off Tottenham Court Road. We were on the sixth and seventh floor. One day, I was working on a Saturday and decided to go for a nose around. I found myself on the roof. The view was amazing. The following week, I did it again with binoculars. I could see the now demolished NIMR building in Mill Hill. Looking over the edge was a bit scary though.

8. Sitting in the back of a Police Car on a Blue light.
Many years ago, a mate of mine was a Policeman. I happened to bump into him and his mate in a cafe in London having a crafty coffee. He was knocking off in half an hour and suggested we go for a beer. Again rather naughtily, he suggested I jump in the back of the car. As we were driving back, he got an emergency call. On went the blue light. He had to drop me off arround the corner before he got to the incident as you are not meant to ferry your mates around. It was fun, but he was pissed off as he missed his beer. I found it to be rather exciting.

9. Drinking beer with The Ruts in Stonebridge Park.
I used to be good mates with Paul Fox, guitarist of The Ruts. He invited us down to a Rock Against Racism gig in Stonebridge Park. I think it was the Ruts second gig. They were supporting Misty in Roots and The Vibrators. It was a free gig with two of my favourite bands. Hearing that a mates band were supporting was even more incentive. To be honest, The Ruts hadn't found their feet. Misty were awesome, I can remember just sitting on the grass, sswigging warm beer with the Ruts watching them. Oddly, although the Vibrators were my favourite band at the time, I've no recollection of them at all that day.

10. 1977 Tour of St Pancras.
We start and finish with railways. As part of my schoolwork in 1977, I did a project on the history of St Pancras. I contacted British Rail and was kindly given a tour of the then dilapidated palace by an old railwayman. It was fascinating. The maine hall of the hotel was being used to store instant coffee. The drivers tea room was a haze of smoke. The catacombes underneath were spooky. I took dodgy pictures with an instamatic. I loved it, but my teacher hated my project. It was meant to focus on the building and construction techniques. Like many things in my life, my best work was totally unappreciated.

No comments: